What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

48" flo. tubes

Hey,

I am expanding my indoor personal set-up and I was wondering if I was to use three bulbs, which should I use? To get a good spectrum and promote good coloring and growth.

I will be using a 33gallon long tank and a triple-tube hood with a twin-tube shop light above the entire tank. I don't know how much of the shop light will make it into the tank, but I figure the more, the marrier.

So for the three that will lay across the top of the tank, what bulbs do you suggest and if you could, supply a link to the appropriate page to purchase them.

If you think the shop lights will have any affect, list spectrums and bulbs for that, as well.

This is mainly a Nepenthes Tank, but it does hold other pitcher plants such as heliamphora, cephalotus and what-not.

I just want to bring out the best in color and promote good growth.

Any help would be appreciated.

i recommend these lights.. a little on the expensive side, these would be perfect.. with these there is no need to buy any other lights, 384 watts and full spectrum your plants are going to thank you..
smile_m_32.gif

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=CU01031
Other lights:
<a href="http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_lighting_powercompact_compact-fluorescent_current-usa_orbit_sunpaq_fixtures.asp?C
artId=" target="_blank">http://www.marinedepot.com/aquariu....CartId=</a>

With the Fouro longs try to get them as close to the plants as possible. Many folks here have started using compact flouros. The are relatively cheap to purchas and run as well as being very good light.

Joe

why stop at three, when you can use 4 ?

Use cool white or "daylight" bulbs, and avoid the "soft white" or "warm white" bulbs. I wouldn't bother with the expensive verilux or agrosun lights as they don't seem significantly better. I'm growing tons of great plants with the extremely cheap cools and daylights.

Capslock

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>I agree with Capslock about cheap 48 inch "cool white" bulbs and cheap $7 fluorescent fixtures, (be sure they are rated to handle 40 watt lamps).

If you check out some of my other posts which include photos of some of the plants I am growing, you will see what these lamps can produce.</span>

You can add a warm white with the cool white if you want to try and fiddle with things, but I have seen good color with just 40 watt cool whites. I have not even tried reflective material, but I am planning it soon for neps and Drosera.

Joe

Thanks guys, does anyone know of Quadruple tube light fixtures? All I have found is triple and twin tube.

Probably cheaper and easier to just get 2 of the twin tube shoplight fixtures rather than a single 4tube fixture.

Personally I wouldn't bother with warm white. Coolwhite still has plenty of red in it. If you can find daylight for not a whole lot more than coolwhite then I would use these.

Tony

If you want to spend some $, check this out:
tek lights

nice find schloaty, most likely buying that four-tube fixture with the paycheck after this one, so i can buy my sugar glider soon. :-d

Have you had a sugar glider bgefore if not: be sure to read as absolutely much as possible. They are not an easy keep especially in the food department. They are as finicky as children. I had one for 2 yrs then sold it. By the way they pee on everything. Don't put them next to a wall.

Joe

i think they make commercial food for them, just like hedgehogs.

I've read and read my friend, but thanks for the tinkle information. I am buying breeder food called, "Zookeeper's Secret". Joeys are finicky and picky but not one has failed to indulge on this according to ZS. Not to mention, it's the best diet for them.

What is a sugar glider? Never heard of one...

Try a Google search. I did, and wow, sure is a lot of info out there on Sugar Glider.

I'm doing fine with 4' shop lights... each with a "Daylight" (6500K) and a "Plant & Aquarium" (not sure, 9000K area maybe, kinda pink) bulb. Just cheap walmart bulbs.

Back