Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heat from lights- air circulation - problem

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JLAP, sorry to hear about your grandmother

wezx, regardless of the fan you use,

1. to reduce heat AND improve circulation at the same time, i think the key is placing the fan in such that it is blowing as much air out of the tank as possible (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

2. you probably shouldn't place the fan such that air is blowing from one side of the tank to the other b/c this will only move the hot air within the tank and will probably dry the leaves in the process.

3. regarding humidity, if the humidity in your tank is provided by the environment (natural) than the fan will not reduce humidity as it simply replaces the hot air in the tank with cooler air outside....though technically the humidity will drop just a little as hot air can hold more water vapor than cooler air. you should buy a humidistat/thermometer to make sure the fan is doing its job. if humidity drops too much, then you can place some water in a saucer at the bottom of the tank (if you already don't have your plants in shallow water).

4. if your fan isn't good enough and you can't find a clothes dryer fan (JLAPs suggestion), then you might want to go to a local electronics store and get a computer fan and AC/DC adaptor (~$40 US total). splice the wires of the adaptor and computer fan together. a moderator suggested this to me and i did it.....works great.

hope this helps. i, too, am new to this stuff and have been getting a lot of help from the more experienced guys/gals in the forum....this is a great place to learn & get advice.
    Secretary, New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) http://www.necps.org/
    Member, International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS)
    Member, North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC)
    Member, The Carnivorous Plant Society (CPS)

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks jason and chloroplast (chloroplast, would you like me to send you your free plants i promised? are you back from vacation?)

many people neglect air circulation- it's almost as important as light imo.

something i just thought of, you can attatch a sponge to the back of the fan, then you can freeze a gallon or 2 liter bottle of water. make a hole in the side, attatch some aquarium tubing (glue it in with aquarium silicone), then take an air valve (like the kind that come on the air intake of a powerhead), attatch it to theend of the tube and adjust it so it drips about 1 drop every 3 seconds or so. then position it above the sponge. the frozen water bottle MUST be higher than the tube otherwise it won't work.

anyway, my thinking is : the fan will suck up air that passes through the wet sponge. the air is wet and cold because of the wet cold sponge that's saturated with melted water. this humidifies and cools down the tank at night or at day.

hope that isn't TOO confusing.

Hot, humid Singapore....but unfortunately, in a flat 7 stories up, sunlight blocked by tall buildings.......
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow!! thanks guys!
    Lots of nice ideas which i will try!
    A lady went into a grocery store and looked into the turket section. She needed a bigger one for her family, so she asks the stock boy: \"Do these turkeys get any bigger?\"

The stock boy replied: \"No ma'am, they're dead\"

Msn/email - wezx1@hotmail.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]many people neglect air circulation- it's almost as important as light imo.
    Air circulation as important as light? So should I spend the same amount of $ on lights as I do on light...? I probably won't have any plants by the end of it...ah its a hurricane in the terrarium! RUN! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just because something is important doesn't mean it's expensive. the proper soil is more important than light- you cant argue with me on that, but soil isn't expensive.

without proper air circulation, heat can build up, stagnant air is a great home for bad fungi and mold, not to mention in terrarium culture the air movement helps harden the leaves and stems.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12