Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cpu fan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]So, if the mA output is too strong, it could be hazardous? Or is it just a good thing?
    Well, besides the plants looking very poor and windblown from being blown round the growspace, the fan could unscrew. I don't want to take any chance, anything excessive can be potentially dangerous.

lol nice analogy Amateur_Expert! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, that didn't work...

I bought a 10 cm CPU fan (120 V AC, 22 W) and cut an old, regular plug to fit the fan's two wires with. Plugged it in the wall. I was expecting that it would : 1) do fine or 2) explode.
    Nothing happened! Nothing!

So now what gives? Is the fan broken? Or is it a problem with the fan's wires (both have a black covering and are not made of copper, they have a mettalic grey color instead.)

What do I do now?
    If the dragon is bigger than his treasure, it's not worth the effort.

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (and how come so many CPU fans have three wires, red, black and yellow?)

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    both wires are black? hmm sounds like you might be using a wrong wire, does it have anymore besisdes those two?

don't worry about the color of the metal, many wires are made out of that grew color, most likely because the company was cheap and didn't want to spend money on copper.

the yellow wire i believe has something to do with the computer. it might be for grounding because static and computers don't mix. i'm not the expert on the fan, but i do know that it is not needed to run fan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Typically black is the ground. If you want to use a typical computer fan, you will need to buy a CPU as well. This is the computer's "powerplant". Or go to Radioshack and buy one of the bigger "muffin fans" made to be connected to one of the bare wire plugs that they sell. Just ask for what you need and they should be able to help. Any more questions, ask before you try, we really would hate to see you all crispy and not be a "man in black" but a "black in man". [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]

~LM~
    I am back..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MIB : Nope, only two black wires, and I did try switching them. No avail... I ask some of my friends about it, and said the fan was lkely broken or something. Exchange it for another, and if it still doesn't then there's something wrong.

Litho : "Muffin fans" ? You mean the smaller ones? I think I will get one if this doesn't work, and use the red and black wires to connect them to an adaptor.

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe that was what the guy there was calling them. All I know is that they are a little thicker than your average computer fan, and can be directly soldered/connected(you can always just twist the wires together, it's just a little messier) to a standard 120v household plug. A typical computer fan runs at around 5 volts, so hooking it up to a normal plug is asking for shorting your entire home or neighborhood's circut box! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img] Just be careful and take it easy. Any other questions feel free to ask!! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    J
    I am back..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IT IS WORKING!!!

I don't know what happened, I didn't even change anything and it works! I think maybe the wires weren't connecting right or something.

Ahhh, the sounds of 65 cubic feets beign blown around =)
    Not even disturbing the earth too. It is aimed toward some sort of pool made of rocks an water at the center, hopefully it will help evaporate that water to get higher humidity rating while lowering the temperature. ^_^

Thanks guys! This wouldn't have been possible without you! =D

My Growlist

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast