What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cpu fan

Typically black is the ground. If you want to use a typical computer fan, you will need to buy a CPU as well. This is the computer's "powerplant". Or go to Radioshack and buy one of the bigger "muffin fans" made to be connected to one of the bare wire plugs that they sell. Just ask for what you need and they should be able to help. Any more questions, ask before you try, we really would hate to see you all crispy and not be a "man in black" but a "black in man".
confused.gif

~LM~

MIB : Nope, only two black wires, and I did try switching them. No avail... I ask some of my friends about it, and said the fan was lkely broken or something. Exchange it for another, and if it still doesn't then there's something wrong.

Litho : "Muffin fans" ? You mean the smaller ones? I think I will get one if this doesn't work, and use the red and black wires to connect them to an adaptor.

I believe that was what the guy there was calling them. All I know is that they are a little thicker than your average computer fan, and can be directly soldered/connected(you can always just twist the wires together, it's just a little messier) to a standard 120v household plug. A typical computer fan runs at around 5 volts, so hooking it up to a normal plug is asking for shorting your entire home or neighborhood's circut box!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
Just be careful and take it easy. Any other questions feel free to ask!!
smile.gif

J

IT IS WORKING!!!  

I don't know what happened, I didn't even change anything and it works!  I think maybe the wires weren't connecting right or something.

Ahhh, the sounds of 65 cubic feets beign blown around =)
Not even disturbing the earth too.  It is aimed toward some sort of pool made of rocks an water at the center, hopefully it will help evaporate that water to get higher humidity rating while lowering the temperature.  ^_^

Thanks guys!  This wouldn't have been possible without you! =D

Glad to hear it. Let us know how much it can drop the temps, I'd be curious to hear.
smile.gif

My brother showed me some fans,they were the same size 80mm,90mm and so on,same as pc fans but they run on AC (110 volt).Cant remember the name of the place,they have a website,might have to do a google search.

Jerry

Hi,
I have always used the CPU fans or PC case fans. They generally run at 12v. As the terraria are generally damp environments I don't much fancy adding a mains voltage fan. Mine tend to run at ~300mA which should be OK from most small transformers. I often run them at 9v which means that they turn more slowly but stay quiet.

A good analogy for Voltage and Amps is water pressure and flow speed. For a pipe of a set diameter the higher the pressure (volts) the greater the current forced through (amps). Hence if the fan is rated for 12v and you only put 9v across it the current is reduced. On the other hand if you take a 5v device and stick 24v across it it will often runfast/glow brightly then burn out as the current is too high and heats it up.

Cheers, Steve

Thanks for that, but I think I prefera power supply fan (120 V CA) because they make more breeze. I don't have fungi problems, but rather, I wish that my plants enjoy a nice wind to harden their stems. So far they don't seem to mind, though it does dry the top of my soil fast.

Now what I need is to find the optimum placement, there's good air circulation (obviously) and high humidity (du to the increased evaporation) but there's still a very high temperature (nearing 90F sometimes!). And when I open the lid, I lose a lot of humidity fast.
So how do I place my fan so it will cool more and evaporate less while shaking my plants a bit?
Questions questions...

Back