What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coarse sand

Hello, new to the forum here, hope I can be of some help, as I hope to help also. I live in the Boston area, and have searched everywhere looking for some nice coarse sand for my potting mix. I always see this stuff in the cactus pots at the nurseries, but it's nowhere to be found for buying! I'm kinda picky, and don't like that playground sand type stuff. Could anyone please recommend an internet seller? Thanks a lot!

StifflerMichael,
I recommend checking your local yellow pages for suppliers of "Sandblasting supplies". The sand most commonly used for sandblasting, comes in various grit sizes, is usually the sand most of us use for our CP (once rinsed clean). The larger the number the smaller the particle size. I like 12 grit, but it is large and hard to find, 20 or 30 grit works quite well. As Tamlin has mentioned many times, sand sold by pool supply outfits for use in pool filters is also a good useable type.

Hey, thanks a lot for the reply! Ahh, I did read somewhere about this 12 grit sand for sandblasting being a very good type. I found a sandblasting supply, and swimming pool supply store in the phone book, I'll give a call tomorrow.

Back