Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Experimental bog garden pics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (ALLOSAURZ @ Sep. 15 2004,8:28)]But here in Ohio
    hey! you're in ohio? did you know that there are several terraforum members also in ohio?

tech...
    west of akron
    Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
    Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very good idea! I plan on doing something similar next spring. As for living through the winter, you shouldn't have any trouble with pretty much any sars or vfts. I live in Zone 5, and we had a REALLY cold winter (for the area...though -35 is cold no matter who you talk to), and the window boxes I sank into the ground and mulched with 3" of reptile bedding (not recommended, but it was all I had, lol) made it through just fine. Only two died (out of 15 or so plants), and one of those was not doing well to begin with anyway.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    won't squirrels get to 'em there? I thought you lived in an apartment....
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks very cool, hope the plants make it!
    They say if you play a Microsoft CD backwards, you hear satanic messages. Thats nothing, cause if you play it forwards, it installs Windows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Oct. 15 2004,12:36)]won't squirrels get to 'em there? I thought you lived in an apartment....
    I have two dogs that enjoy killing birds/chasing squirrels in my back yard thus leaving my hands clean [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img] Besides the squirrels are mostly a pain on the plants in my front yard/near my fence/close lines etc. Basically the squirrels only attack anything near an exit those conniving little... nevermind. *Anyways experimental bog garden update*

Ok I forgot to mulch my plants and we have had an unusually cold December with temperatures down to 1*F. and we have had a little snow. The plants though are looking great so far. I mean they look firm and green. The purps look cute with their pitchers filled with snow. However today I wadded some old car canvas around the plants for insolation and then covered it with a tarp they should be alright. Allthough oddly enough I am more worried about my plants that I didn't put in my bog garden as while I was at school the tub they were in was filled up to the top submerging the plants completely... and then we got the cold weather which = plantcicles. Basically the pitchers on all my pitchers/sars died back however the Rhizomes are still firm and white so they look fine. The VFTs died back a little. One of the pots got tipped over and was completely submerged in water under the ice and oddly enough it looks the healthiest.... NO word on how my Sundews are doing. Anyways I brought the tub inside chipped the plants out The put them in a big storage bin filled halfway up with water and hauled them into my garage for the winter. I hope to fill the container the rest of the way to submerge all my plants for the winter. But yeah everything is looking great so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (schloaty @ Oct. 11 2004,4:41)]Very good idea! I plan on doing something similar next spring. As for living through the winter, you shouldn't have any trouble with pretty much any sars or vfts. I live in Zone 5, and we had a REALLY cold winter (for the area...though -35 is cold no matter who you talk to), and the window boxes I sank into the ground and mulched with 3" of reptile bedding (not recommended, but it was all I had, lol) made it through just fine. Only two died (out of 15 or so plants), and one of those was not doing well to begin with anyway.
    Wait a minute so your VFTs survived -35* F temperatures with minimul mulching? I am going to have to link this thread into my Plants temperature extremes thread as that is awesome.PLease do tell what other plants you have in your bog as I would find this to be extremely helpful information.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12