Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Experimental bog garden pics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a spur of the moment I put together a miniature bog garden with some extra bricks I found, extra pond liner I had and what was left of my peat moss. All in all it took me about an hour to build. I am basically just trying to sacrifice a couple of my plants to see if they will survive the winter through mulching/being covered with a tarp. The plants I have in there are 2 S. purps ssp venosa 1 s. Rubra ssp Rubra and 2 Red Dragon VFT's. Overall I think it's a nifty little creation for so little work. If most the plants survive then I plan on building a hole row of bogs to partition off the back half of the yard ( to keep my dogs from destroying all my moms plants) so what do you think?[img]http://home.**********.com/users/allosaurz/Bog1.jpg[/img]
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/allosaurz/Bog2.jpg[/img] On subsequent bogs I hope to find a better way to hide the pond liner. Just wait till you see my idea for a Darlingtonia bog... it'll have water works.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh there is also an unidentified Sarracenia hybrid in the middle. I personally believe it to be a (purpurea x flava) x flava

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks very nice All.
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would mulch it well for the Winter(when it starts getting cols). I think you would have been better off with S. purpurea purpurea, as it is the Northern pitcher plant. The hybrid might do well(hybrid vigor and all).
    Anyway, good luck and keep us posted, as I have been pondering this for a long time.

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cool im about to make an eight foot by ten foot bog (i know its kinda large)over the fall break
    Join the CCPS, you wont regret it: http://s4.invisionfree.com/CCPS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (The Griffin @ Sep. 15 2004,10:07)]I would mulch it well for the Winter(when it starts getting cols). I think you would have been better off with S. purpurea purpurea, as it is the Northern pitcher plant. The hybrid might do well(hybrid vigor and all).
    Anyway, good luck and keep us posted, as I have been pondering this for a long time.

Cheers,

Joe
    Oh I know S. P. ssp P. would have done infinately better but I have two problems with that though.
    1. I don'e have the plant in question
    2. I am broke
    So I decided to use what plants I had. They should do alright though as I'll surround it with a bail of straw, maple leaves, and a tarp. But here in Ohio we don't get severe cold till mid January. Up until then it rarely dips down past the twenties. Almost every year where I live we get rain on x-mas as opposed to snow. So I have a bit of time to make arrangements for my plants.

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

where does it drain. or is there no drainage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no drainage as we can go weeks without rain in the summer. I figure between being flooded and drying out it will balance itself out. Besides the only plants in there that would be overly bothered by constant flooding would be the red dragon vfts. I'm thinking about removing them when I get home so it will be a pure sarracenia garden.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast