What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

10 gal terr

Wesley

God must have an interesting sense of humor
What would be the best lights to put on a 10 gal terrarium? It will be for hardy lowland/warm/tropical sundews and neps. Any help would be appreciated.

i like to put as many lights over it as i can. you can't overdo fluorescents

I have 2 - 15 watt fluorescent tubes over mine.

Any specific types of flourescent lights?

I was using 2 Hagen Aqua-glo lights because it was left over from the fish tanks I took down.
I replace the bulbs every year 1 in Jan, the other June. I replaced the 1 with a cool white, the other when it's time will be a Gro-Lux from Sylvania. This is what was suggested to me to use from a grower of CP's for over 22 years.

This should be perfect for a 10 gallon:

Er, click on smileys

With 10 gallon, one shoplight will fight over two end-to-end. With the 40 watt bulbs, any will work. Depending on your heating, you might want to use warm white or a combo with cool white. You can try grolux, if you want, but I have not noticed any difference as far as plant color on most.

Cheers,

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I replace the bulbs every year 1 in Jan, the other June. I replaced the 1 with a cool white, the other when it's time will be a Gro-Lux from Sylvania. This is what was suggested to me to use from a grower of CP's for over 22 years.

Does it matter what brand of cool white I get?
I already have a Bright Stick "grow and show" from GE, but it seems to be too warm for my plants as, some of them are looking dry and brown on the leaves, and the new growth is green, for a little while before turning brown also.

If this is for a lowland tank, how can the lights you are using be too warm? Also, these are cool whites that are putting out this much heat? Are your plants too close to the lights?

Cheers,

Joe

It's mainly the dews, and no they are not to close to the light. They aren't really warm, but they tend to dry the tank alot, I have the humidity, around 70-85%. They should be getting plenty of water, as I have most of the plants on the tray method letting the trays dry before watering again.

lights of america makes a 65 watt compact floresent shop light that will fit a 10 gallon very nicely

Regarding lighting, I was wondering, since I've been using lights for growing, coral reef tank, etc. I thought that the warm white were called "warm" because of the red hue, and the cool because of "blue" wavelengths and combining them had the effect of a balanced dose of the various wavelengths.

I was not aware that the Warm and Cool flourescent tubes were different in temperature.

Mark

65 watt Fluorex (Lights Of America) over my 10G.
6500K color spectrum.
terrarium.jpg

The front glass now has 20% tint on it.
smile.gif

I plan on adding a spray painted plexi glass cover with a small 12 volt DC computer 2 inch fan and put it on a dimmer so I can adjust the ventilation.  
smilie4.gif

Back