What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I am in love with CPs.
My first was a flytrap.... and it got cooked..literally.

I live in the desert, and it is too hot here to grow them as far as I can see.  They need light, but the sun is too hot.  They need humidity, but its too dry here.
So I had some options:

-GREENHOUSE:
sounds like an idea, except that they are expensive to build, expensive to keep cool (since its so hot here), the sun through glass cooks whats inside, and to keep humid my bill will go through the roof.

-Terrarium:
Sounds alright... but I cant seem to find the right size.  I wish to have a large variety of CPs, and so I thought a 40gal or so old fish tank would do.  But how can i keep it humid in there?  Its dry outside, so I cant stick the terrarium outside on a covered porch.  Its dry inside as well and they'll cook if I put them in a window for light. sounds ify.  I would hate to buy some and just end up cooking them again  
smile_h_32.gif

-sitting and hanging around the house:
stuck with terrarium again, cause its too dry and dark in the house (we dont have basements either for room lighting kind of growing).

Sounds to me like the terrarium is the best deal, but I feel it isnt large enough for me to fully enjoy growing, trading, and selling CPs.
Unless I have ALOT of them all around the house. lol

I have seen alot about lighting, and alot about the substrate, and alot about dormancy and feeding.  But if I have a large variety, and only a terrarium, hard to single out those that require different humidty and light and dormancy.

sigh, in otherwords, im running around in circles wanting to do something, and keep talking myself out of doing anything.
Where do I go for wholesale prices on CPs? So i dont go broke trying to start my nice hobby!
Is it better to buy them grown? Or go from seeds?

eh, running in circles again.. HELP!

Welcome to the forums! Perhaps Adnedarn and Pinquiculaman, who both live in the desert southwest, can give ya some pointers in the right direction.

Now, having said that, many CP's will do well in their pots, if they are sitting another container, with store bought distilled water, sitting on a window sill. E.G.: Drosera spatulata, P. primuliflora, D. capensis- to name a few. Terraria do well for some but many CP's will struggle if there is no air circulation. Check out the Trading Post for people giving away plants and seeds for the mere cost of a couple of dollars (postage) and a Self-Addressed Stamped Envelope (SASE). Check out the "pinned" topic about SASEs. This is a very inexpensive hobby when you go the SASE / Trading post route. The people here are very generous and you will have the opportunity to make many friends. It doesn't take long to build up a good-sized collection. Check out my grow list. 95% of it came in the past 8 months, through the generous folks on TF.

Even if a terrarium might be too small, as you say, you have to start somewhere. Besides, quite a few plants can be crammed together in the same space, many will get along you fine with the same range of conditions, you just have to choose if you want temperate, subtropical or tropical. Well, basically anyway.

Hello!  Welcome to the forums.  
smile.gif
 I live in Tucson, Az and grow CPs just fine...  I grow them in two different places.   I have a small green house that I built in my back patio which is cooled by a Master Cool swamp cooler...  That cools and humidifies all day just fine.
ghoutside.jpg

Also, I have a rack in my dinning room area...   I have 3 sets of shop lights over each rack and a humidifier runs to keep the area at about 55% humidity...    Here is a quick picture of that...
plantrack.jpg

Hope this helps.
Andrew

Oh, and I never had any luck using a tank... I tried once with a 125 gal fish tank... I couldn't get enough light and couldn't keep it cool enough....

I have had great success keeping a small collection tropical CP's in indoor terrariums under lights.

I live in Tempe, AZ where it is as hot and dry as it can get. Without having a greenhouse, the only way to grow tropical plants of any interest is in a terrarium. Email me at azdvknight@msn.com if you would like to be in touch.

I have purchased CP's locally at Home Depot, Lowes, Baker's Nursery and Whole Foods.

Get yourself a four foot long aquarium (or a combination of tanks that equal that amount), and then purchase shoplights, enough to have bulbs covering the entire top ($7 each at Walmart). I like to use GE Ultra Daylight bulbs, as the color is very pleasing to the eye. You can get glass cut for the terrarium lid at Home Depot for a minimal price depending on the size of the enclosure. In desert conditions, I would not worry about too much ventilation...I would maybe leave about .5" open on one end of the top, if any at all.

There are a couple folks I know that dabble in CP's as an aside to our dart frog addiction.

Again, let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

David

ok, i live in tucson
smile.gif

i like the outside and terrarium idea.

adnedarn-
how did you build that? I have a small area that would be great for a size like that. Where did you get the swamp cooler too?
If I do a rack like yours for inside, how do i humidify it? expecially to 50%?

and david-
how would i plug in the lights? i would like to display some in my living room
smile.gif

in otherwords... you guys got some plans? lol
im a anxious to join the CP lovers and show my family their beauty (my sister jokes about them eating peoples fingers LOL)

Patch- I'm just kinda handy like that... I didn't write any plans. I just measured out this corner of my patio and off I went... If you can tell in the picture... there is only a front and top of this G/H... as the back and the sides are brick wall... This kinda cuts out on the amount of light thta gets in there.. But it is plenty for some good light. The cooler I got from lowes last season at clearance... My wife works there as a manager so I get first pic of clearance stuff.
smile.gif
Then I went to Naughtons and bought the climate control system and hooked it up to the cooler (that's the grey box on the back of the cooler) But, the coolers like this were already clearanced out last week... So, you missed on that.
smile_h_32.gif
I think the g/h not including the cooler cost me about 125 bucks.... then I got the cooler for like 150 dollars. I think that is usally 350...

As for the humidity inside... I bought a humidifier that has a built in humidistat, I put that up to 50% and it turns on and off to maintain that... Mine runs alot since I have AC, if your house has swamp coolers then the humidifier won't run much.
smile_n_32.gif
But remember... you then gotta live in a humid house. It isn't too bad... and becides. It is good for your skin and wood furnature. hehe...
Maybe we could get together sometime and you could check out the plants and set up arround here.
smile.gif
I live on the North West side of Tucson...
I think that was all your questions.. hehe
Andrew

my dad is pretty hand yon building things.
perhaps he can help
smile.gif

as for a swamp cooler.
our house has one that we dont use.
maybe we can just take that one down...

thanks for the help.

as for seeing your setup. i live on the southeast side.
not sure when i'd ever been in your area, but perhaps if i cant figure something out with my setup I can give you a PM about checking your stuff out.

cya around
smile.gif

PS.. kinda wierd thinking about how we may have walked by eachother lots and times, and never know about it.

Patch,

You can easily hang the lights from the ceiling with lightweight chain.

David

Back