What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My glasshouse

Some of you may have remembered when I set up my glasshouse early this year... So I thought it time to show how it is today since it has come such a long way.

This is how I placed it in the existing garden.  The hedges were already there but ran straight across the back edge of the lawn.  I just uprooted them and replanted around the glasshouse to make it look like it had been there for ages. The camera is pointing north and this shot is at about 9:00am (sun on the right or East).
GHFront.jpg

The 'view' as you enter:
GHBack.jpg

And looking back out the door:
GHDoor.jpg

It is still a work in progress as all the timber benches will be replaced with expanded metal, I'm soon to add an evap. cooler and I'm still not happy with the temp and humidity control.

Needless to say, other than a few odds and ends it is pretty much just Neps.

Aaron.

Looks great. Always nice to see Neps in a good home.
smile.gif

Will you try keeping the more difficult ones (not talking about Villosa or something of course
biggrin.gif
) or stick with the easier Neps?

I think I see a reasonably large N. veitchii on the ground in the middle picture to the left of the photo.
smile.gif

do you grow anything besides neps in there?
great photos, i hope mine'll look like that

Fantastic glasshouse! Helps to inspire me for my greenhouse I plan on building this spring for my Nepenthes. Please continue to update us with more great pictures.

Thanks guys.

Phyrex,
I do avoid 'extreme’ HL or LL species as the glasshouse is maintained at intermediate conditions on average, with a swing towards HL in winter and LL in summer.  In terms of "difficult species"…. it all depends on what you find difficult.

I have something like 90 plants in total representing maybe 40 species and 25 hybrids.  There are the odd few that seem to do it a bit tough at times but they not necessarily species that are ‘known’ to be difficult.  On the other hand some that are I find easy!?

Run of a list of those species you consider difficult I’ll tell you if I have them.

NG,
N. truncata x veitchii (HL stripped) is what you can see and a good grower!

There is a N. veitchii (gold peristome) in the last picture.  Let’s see if I can point you to it..... Right-hand bottom shelf, second Nep from the farthest end with the reddish leaves (directly above the 2x plastic containers on the ground).  Also a good grower for me.

Kirk,
I have a few other things including about 30 VFT's, D capensis, D. spatulata, D. binata, some Bromeliads, orchids and a few other things.  It's ALL about the Neps though
smile_m_32.gif

Aaron.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (AaronJ @ Oct. 12 2004,6:25)]Phyrex,
I do avoid 'extreme’ HL or LL species as the glasshouse is maintained at intermediate conditions on average, with a swing towards HL in winter and LL in summer.
Ah ok, that's what I ment. So you don't need to cool during the summer and heat during the winter? What if you get real extremes? Too much frost or heat will kill your plants in no time.
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Because if I do build a greenhouse myself then I will also stuff it with Neps (Are there any other CPs?
biggrin.gif
) so I was wondering what species are tollerant enough to deal with the possible large fluctuations in a greenhouse...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]So you don't need to cool during the summer and heat during the winter?

Heck yes….I sure do!

For winter heating I have a 2kw heater (should see the mid winter power bills... OUCH!) that keeps the nightly lows to about 13-15C (outside temps down to 0C mid winter).  If we get too many overcast days with low temps (i.e. the glasshouse does not get over 20C on its own) I’ll adjust the temp up during the day to assist.

For summer cooling I have the misting system, circulation fan and, as mentioned, an evap. cooler on the way soon.  Not uncommon for days to get up close to 40C and its dry (very dry).  Add to that the intense sun we get here, and it spells disaster rather rapidly if your cooling system is not in check.

Aaron.

Very nice! I`m currentley awaiting the arival of a 6 x 8 x 6 polycarbonate greenhouse that looks much like yours. What are its dimensions?

Another Update!

View of the back:
GHBack2.jpg

Back Left - Mainly hanging area and plants on the ground that like lower light leves:
GHBackLeft.jpg

Back Right - Bench area with mostly medium sized plants that like higher light:
GHBackRight.jpg

Front Right - Again medium sized plants. Also the circulation fan (oscillating), heater, thermos, etc:
GHFrontRight.jpg

Front Left - Propogation area. Check out the Albo vine. I was going to cut it now that its about 2 meters but won't as I'm hoping it'll flower:
GHFrontLeft.jpg

AJ

Absolutely stunning! That is exactly what i've been wanting; as soon as I move to the new house. That wil be a priority on my list of things to do!
What was the average cost of the Glass house?

Thanks for sharing!!

-Jc

oh dear god!

that is amazing!

you update i sso cool

What brand glass house is this?

what are you using as far as environmental controls.

Thanks guys. Unfortunately its filling fast with new additions and growth, so I'm not sure of what next. Possibly a large hoop-house.

JC,

Don't ask about the $$$!....GH was second hand and other than the heater, thermo and fan everything else is DIY. I really couldn't put a figure on it as its constantly evolving.

Jess,

It's an Eden-812. I believe they are manufactured in New Zealand.

Enviro. controls:

- Circulation fan runs 24/7.
- Mid summer is 2 layers of 50% shade clothe. Either end of summer is a single layer. Winter is no shade cloth but the entire interior lined with bubble wrap.
- The heater has and independent fan and thermo. Fan runs 24/7 and thermo is set to a min of 12C. This is only to keep tabs on nighttime lows.
- I have another thermo that controls a single misting jet. The jet is positioned directly in front of the heater fan to distribute the mist. Thermo is set to turn the jet on at 25C and above.
- Roof vent is open all year other than mid winter when I am trying to trap heat.
- I manually control ventilation with the sliding door. Generally I just leave it ajar through the hotter weather.

I hope to add an evaporative cooler before next summer and maybe one of those automatic roof vent openers.

AJ

Hi Aaron
Great set up there,your plants are looking superb.Your g/house set up is very similiar to mine,a lot neater though.
I like the way you leave them to vine,i think vines all over the place look cool
smile.gif

Bye for now julian

Almost a year on yet again so update time.

I must admit that the picture quality has dropped off, as it is quite hard to get in to the GH now and position for a good wide photo.  Vines and tendrils everywhere!

I am at a point where I desperately need to start taking cuttings to control the vine size, but I have no floor-space left for the extra pots it will create.  Many of the larger vines ran in to the top of the GH and destroyed their lead growing tip this last summer.  Now they are all sprouting lateral growing tips on mass. However, for now I'm just letting it go feral until I come up with plans for a bigger GH.

167_6763.jpg

167_6765.jpg

167_6760.jpg

Aaron.

Just messing about... from THEN till NOW!

Collage.jpg

Wow that's looking great.

What from of N. ventricosa is in flower.

thanks
-Jeremiah-

Jeremiah,

Nothing in flower in any of the 3 latest pics! Which pic and where are you looking?

Aaron

LOL- wrong year on that post
smile_m_32.gif
Jeremiah

Posted: April 07 2005,7:03

Back