Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "little shop of horrors" cp suggestions needed

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just for the record, I was wrong about Mr. Schnell's book title. It wasn't North America. It was United States and Canada. Ooops! But it looks like you have it covered.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Starman, you are correct. I assumed when they were recommended that they were either a maginal or a terrestrial. They are all aquatics. I didn't get far enough last night to check their cultural requirements. The list I found has terrestrials as well as aquatics and it did not differentiate between the two. Back to Butterworts for the school but good news is that I actually have a 1 acre pond here as well as a few others so maybe some day... I will try a few bladderworts for myself.

What are people using for fencing around their CPs? Chicken wire? Netting? Surely there is something more attractive?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello spectabilis, I am on a different computer now and I can see your .gif of what I believe to be a Simpson cartoon character writing on a chalkboard. I apologize if I offended you by asking a dumb question.

Hello jimscott, If I may ask... I am just now seeing your image of your cat. Is there some sort of a CP hanging out of its mouth?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, spectabilis that was quite rude. I mentioned about the birds being a problem: right now I am using some cheap plastic netting, it was sold as a 14x14 foot and used especially for covering trees. I only have a small enclosure which I keep outside, I have it wrapped in this netting and it works great. Boston is full of these sparrows too!! Perhaps you could set up poles at the corners of the bog garden, and tie this netting over the top and strapped to the poles.

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spec, thats not very nice, you know.
    Its actually quite offensive.
    Carnivorous plants growlist:http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17597
    Onda je sultan pao mrtav do kostura

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know that that was directed at Laura, but rather just part of his signature. In which case I don't think it's rude. How many "How do I take care of a vft" posts are made right under all the information in the world?

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, perhaps it is time for me to fess up and add details as it appears some of my questions are dumb. I am beyond frantic right now. I purchased about $700 worth of CPs and miscellaneous. Of that original purchase, I believe I have only about $50 worth of CPs left as of this morning. Only Sarracenias made it and one clump still standing was from a personal friend. If I can figure out how to post a photo I will but it isnít a pretty sight. I volunteered to pay for plant material for the kids at the school and we had decided $200 would suffice plus the purchase of the sphagnum and distilled water to get it up and running. The teachers didnít get a raise last year and many programs were cut. The kids have no science club right now. I figured if I personally paid for ďThe Little Shop of HorrorsĒ that the kids would get an opportunity to learn about these plants while learning a little bit about bog ecosystems so I figured if a little was goodÖ a lot was better. I increased my mail order purchases to about $600. I additionally purchased non CP plants such as club moss, blue flag iris, lobelia and such to add interest. The teacher was supposed to have been granted approval to sink a bog on the School property back over the summer. I think she waited a little bit too long to get approval from the Priest and the Landscape Committee and by the time she did, we couldnít get the hole dug because of rain. It even rained on our rain date. No rain for months and then the skies open up and let loose. I felt horrible for her so I planted the school's plants in my bog to try to save them for the kids until we could get a hole dug outside the School. Unfortunately, I didnít want to tell her I had to plant the darn things as sheíd feel really bad for having dragged her heels on getting the approval to dig so I told her they were on hold and would be delivered next spring so not to worry. This is what happens when one liesÖ one gets in trouble. She has no idea I ordered well in excess of $200. Anyway, the day after I planted them, I saw a cat taking a poop in the middle of the little bog. I ran out waving my arms and it took off. What I noticed was that in addition to stray cats pooping there, squirrels are rooting in and around the plants and are repeatedly uprooting the plants. I thought they were under control in my area. I was wrong. I even found little plants on the ground a few feet away. I tried my best to get them all replanted back in the bog but several had been uprooted for hours while I was at work before I found them and they never made it. I sprinkled red pepper and that worked for a day or so until I found the entire bog uprooted again and plants were strewn everywhere and it looked like something out of a bad Chevy Chase movie about gophers and golf courses. I then sprayed Deer Off and sprinkled red chili powder. This has gone on for a month now. I have tried everything. I bought decoy owls. My husband has pointed out to me that the squirrels are rooting around under the watchful eye of the horned hoot owl decoy. I let the dogs out a few times to chase off the squirrels but I ended up driving around my neighborhood chasing down my dogs that were then on the loose. The idiots ran right past the squirrels and took off for greener pastures. I did call animal control and they have picked up 2 feral cats in the past week and I am fully aware these cats were humanely destroyed but then who wants a feral cat as a pet. There are 7 more out there that havenít fallen for the trap. I find their poops in the sphagnum daily. The squirrels I donít know what to do about. I didnít realize I had so many of them here. They appear to be frantically burying acorns in the nice loose soil of the bog at an unparalleled rate. My husband would like to shoot them at this point in time. I do not want him doing this as there are a handful of red squirrels left (Iím afraid he might get the wrong squirrel) and also because there are organizations out there dealing with the gray squirrel population explosion. We put out sunflower seeds to get an idea of how many gray squirrels we are dealing with and we counted over 20. That means there is double that number out there. I hadnít seen more than a handful at any given point in time so I really believed there werenít enough of them to be a problem. I was wrong. Then comes the post here about the birds. Oh Boy, another problem for next spring. I will get netting as I see no other choice. I should have made the connection that birds that eat insects would be a problem. I didnít until it was mentioned so now I suppose what little is left will get obliterated by the birds if I donít net the little bog securely. I am slightly overwhelmed and now I really will only be able to spend another $200 on replacement plants for the school to plant next spring so this is why I am trying to compile lists of hardy and appropriate plants while trying to address the critter issues here. I am absolutely miserable and extremely overwhelmed and the deer haven't even found my little bog as of yet however that is only a matter of time until they do. I suppose CPs are a deer delicacy?

Three quality people from another CP forum privately offered me free plants and I am afraid to take anything lest they be destroyed. There are some rather heated discussions over there so I signed up here to stay out of the line of fire. Regardless of whether the Simpson .gif was directed at me or not doesn't matter as I apologized for my ignorance so let's please leave it at that.

I also am still learning about how best to care for CPs so I donít kill anything with kindness either. A fine mess I have gotten myself into and all I wanted to do was try to get something going for the kids at the school and a little something going for me here at home. I really do love CPs.

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awwwwwwww...so sorry to hear about all that. You do sound overwhelmed!

I can tell you for a fact...there is nothing a squirrel loves more than freshly turned or loose earth. Squirrels are absolutely the worst problem I have with my outdoor garden. They root around looking for nuts or to bury nuts and tear the plants up just like you've described. You will find many posts on the forums about squirrels. I wish I could offer a solution but I haven't found one yet myself. You can buy and try...uh...fox pee. Yes, its bottled. You put a few drops around and it makes the squirrels think a fox has marked the territory. I've heard garlic buried in the soil can work. There are all sorts of methods but I had someone tell me nothing will work except a totally enclosed cage with no loose wires. My microbogs are semi-enclosed and its helped so far...

Hang in there. You will get past this rough patch and have a great bog for your school and kids. And you! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

May some people here with extra plants can help replace the ones you lost so you don't have to buy any more.

BTW...welcome to the forums and to the CP hobby. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Suzanne/PAK
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast