Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "little shop of horrors" cp suggestions needed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chicken wire is a good thing to use. Maybe you could place wire as a roof across the area as well? That might keep them rats outa there

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (LauraZ5 @ Oct. 19 2004,8:43)]Hello jimscott, If I may ask... I am just now seeing your image of your cat. Is there some sort of a CP hanging out of its mouth?
    Hi Laura, there isn't anything hanging out of her mouth. At least I hope not. I had to check it out and see what you are seeing. I believe what you are seeing is her identification tag, that says, something like, "Hi, My name is Starlight..." She is yawning in the picture.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello grim, I have a nice new roll of chicken wire as of today. Won't my husband be happy to know that I have something else to add to his list of things to do. I was not so successful locating fruit tree netting. Seems it is a seasonal item but these plants are going to sleep right about now so I suppose the netting can wait for a bit. I am going to have to have netting in place by spring though. Next on my list is pine needles. I have already removed the layer of leaf mulch. Maybe the prickly pine needles will slow down the critters- maybe not.

Hello jimscott, nice looking yawning cat. Whenever mine open their mouths like that it is normally to gag up a nice juicy hairball or undigested food special for me to clean up! I think I prefer yawns.

Hello PlantAkiss, when one is dumb one pays. I underestimated the damage hungry critters can do. This too shall pass. I've got a few months to learn now and maybe I can start a few CPs inside over the winter. Everything will be ok. I have tried the mail order fox pee. Didn't work. I then read somewhere that human urine would do it so my boys were peeing with wild abandon over here spraying everything. They got such a charge out of getting to pee outside they wouldn't even go inside in favor of running outside to pee and they got all of their friends into the act too. Oh joy. Human pee doesn't work either yet they are still having a free for all out here. I am opting for a chicken wire enclosed cage with netting over the top. We need to get the stakes in the ground fast before the ground starts freezing. That's priority #1 for this weekend. This time of year with all the acorns has got to be the worst.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow... sounds hectic!!!
    i was thinking of doing a similar project for my school, for my eagle project. I am a Boyscout, but only star class (only 2 more till i have eagle, and i have all the merit badge requirements, i just need time, and community service!!!)
    It sounds like a lot of work though, but i think in the end it would be worth it!!!
    Wish you the best of luck,
    Hellz
    Nike SB is Bananas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Hello Hellz!
    Extremely impressive that you have only 2 Merit badges remaining out of the requisite 21. Great Job! You may not be aware of this however it is my understanding you are allowed to work with any registered Merit Badge Counselor from any Council, you merely need your blue card signed by the individual prior to working on the Merit Badge. Within about a few weeks, I will be re-registered for Law, Fish & Wildlife, Insect Study, Reptiles & Amphibians, Soil & Water Conservation, Forestry, Nature, Gardening, and Environmental Science. I am no expert by any means but I would be more than happy to help you work toward your goals if any of these are remaining. I'm also thinking that I could sure use some planning help with my dive bombing "Little Shop Of Horrors" and I'm thinking that if you are interested, you could speak with your Troop Master and ask him for approval to help out a "CP challenged" Scout Mom... and I would then be in a position to help you knock down some of those community service hours via the Internet. As you can most assuredly see, I have failed miserably to date. I wasn't exactly prepared now was I?

About your Eagle Scout project.. you will do fine regardless of what you ultimately choose. You have to get messy, take risks, and make a lot of mistakes or you aren't going to learn anything. I am so glad to learn you may be sharing your love of CPs with children. You made this statement, "It sounds like a lot of work though, but i think in the end it would be worth it!!!" I agree. Please understand my project became hectic because I dropped the ball and should have sought help months ago. Should you choose to go forward with a project similar to mine, please count me in for a donation toward the purchase of CPs for the students you will be serving. I am so excited to have run into you here! What a wonderful person you most assuredly are.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I`m so sorry to hear that Laura I say shoot the dang squirels and cats!!!!![img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/mad.gif[/img] (Oh great hopefully Clint,sniper0doom,andKyle won`t hack me now eek.) I hope you get this all worked out. Have you considered keeping them inside in there own individual pots or in a greenhouse? Maybe you (your DH) could build a complete enclosure useing wire and netting? Or perhaps put them under one of those "mosquito tent type thingys".?

Well I hope this works all out for you,
    Noah.

Btw. quoteing Wes in Tex (I think) "theres no such thing as a stupid question,so don`t be afraid to ask!" Probably not the exact words but you get the idea.

[img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello pond boy, I do feel like shooting the gray squirrels however I actually need them around for many reasons and quite frankly, I am one of the oddballs who actually enjoys them (10 months out of the year) and my chipmunks. Granted there are too many squirrels here due to circumstances out of my control. The cats are a different story. I currently have 8 indoor only cats that were all former strays. I can't absorb any more or I will end up in divorce court. Most of the cats that are outside are feral and generally they are 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th generation feral. A byproduct of people who didn't spay and neuter. You may or may not be aware of this but cats are not wildlife here. They are not native to North America. Cats eat NA wildlife and wreak havoc in the environment. I call animal control to pick up the ferals I trap which are humanely destroyed and I personally take the former house pets to a shelter to be adopted out. I pay the fee to get them in where they will be vetted. There are those who believe I should "shoot" them all but I can't bring myself to do it. At least I am getting them "off the streets" so to speak so they are not poisoned or ripped apart by stray dogs or reduced to postage size thicknesses on the road. It is the best I can do as I feel sorry for them. Most communities have a means by which to address feral/stray cat populations and I would encourage anyone struggling with their existence to please consider contacting public health or animal control, they should have loaner traps and they will normally either pick up or allow you to bring what you trap in to their facilities and they can weed out what is feral from what is a stray. Just my humble opinion.

As far as my bog, I just hammered in some stakes myself and I am going to enclose it with chicken wire and cover it with bird netting. The critters won and I lost. I don't have a greenhouse... sure wish I did though.

Noah, thanks for your concern. I really appreciate it.

God must have an interesting sense of humor Wesley's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to make a suggestion about the squirrels. If don't want to kill them(though they are really good fried), a good way to keep them out is to distract them with something else, a STEEL(plastci or wood will NOT work as they chew it to pieces) box with corn like the kind you bait a deer with works exceptionally well. As for the deer, hmm... I have nothing at the moment... oh yea, I don't know where to get one but I have a friend who has this little machine that is motion activated and when something moves into it's range it emits this high pitched sound that is not harmful(and hardly hearable) to humans. It would also solve problems with cats, and dogs
    ~Wes~

My plants are going green to save the environment

My Growlist

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast