Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: "little shop of horrors" cp suggestions needed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am working with a science teacher at a school trying to create a carnivorous plant garden for kids. We are going to call it "The Little Shop Of Horrors". We feel this is a project that the children will get excited about as well as one that can be passed on to the children entering Junior High next year. The teacher as well as the janitor have volunteered to care for the CPs over the summer when school is closed. I would like to know which species of CPs would be most hardy in SE Wisconsin. I think in the best interests of the children, only species that can be overwintered outside with mulch would be best. We have permission from the school to create a 200 gallon bog that will be 14" deep. We will fill this with sand, sphagnum, white pine needles, and rain water and the site should get at least 8 hours of sun a day and quite possible as much as 10-12 hours based on the angle if inclination at that time of year. Any suggestions to help the kids would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Laura and welcome to the discusion forums. Question: When will this bog be ready for use? I DO know that people have been successful in the Northeast, overwintering some of their CP's by heavily mulching the plants. Having said that, the Venus Flytraps, some Sarracenias like S. purpurea, the non-dormancy type of D. intermedia, and D. rotundifolia have been overwintered. A fellow by the forum name of Wild Bill does this. I believe Tamlin Dawnstar, Tony Paroubec, and Nepenthes Gracilis would be very helpful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'd probably be able to only house the native north american CPs like VFT's Sarracenia, and some drosera. Maybe some temperate pings and definately some utrics. If you don't want to lose any plants over the winter, choose ones that live high up (like up here in new york) I know black rock forest is home to many sarracenia, pinguicula, utricula, and drosera, and its up in new york where it gets a little bit less than freezing [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img] You could find out the plants that reside there, and use those in your bog.
    They say if you play a Microsoft CD backwards, you hear satanic messages. Thats nothing, cause if you play it forwards, it installs Windows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello jimscott, thje bog will be ready in spring. We tried to get it in earlier but the weather didn't cooperate. The weekends we had volunteers scheduled also happened to be the weekends when the heavens opened up and it poured non stop. It then poured again on our "rain date". Haven't had rain here for months but go ahead and just try to coordinate something for kids and you can almost count on uncooperative weather.

I am fortunate in that I found this forum. I should be able to gather enough information to be able to get my hands on appropriate plant material by the time we are up and running.

Hello Amateur_Expert, Perhaps it would be best for me to start a new thread and ask for people from Wisconsin to provide lists of their most successful CPs.

Thanks for your help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe, it might be best to wait for spring to begin planting, seeing how winter is fast approaching in the US.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So sorry I was unclear as to when we would be planting, we will be waiting until spring. I am in the plant selection mode right now. After I determine which species are most suitable, I will move into the plant order and purchase mode. I will be requesting spring delivery.

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To my knoeledge, these will take any level of freezing:

Sarracenia purpurea subsp. purpurea
    Sarracenia oreophilla
    Sarracenia rubra subsp. jonesii
    Drosera rotundifolia
    Drosera anglica
    Pinguicula grandiflora
    Pinguicula vulgaris

Thoise woudl be best.
    I woudl not reccoment Utrics for outside, because they will be smothered by mosses and weeds.
    There are toehr hardy plants, like Drosera linearis and Pinguicula alpina, but they are very hard to grow, even when outside.
    Carnivorous plants growlist:http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17597
    Onda je sultan pao mrtav do kostura

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One more thing: I would also consider some sort of fencing or something to protect against squirrels and especially birds. I myself was having an especially hard time with birds, as they seemed to like to try and get the insects trapped in the pitchers. Tore everything up! Your project sounds really cool by the way, I hope the children (of all ages [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img] ) have fun!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast