Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The truth behind fluorescent light bulbs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HI all:

I just wanted to ask anybody about the efficiency of fluorescent light bulbs.

Although most of us buy aquarium light bulbs or grow lux for their terrariums, i have heard that regular fluorescent bulbs are good enough and they are also cheaper.

are these the cool white or warm white type of fluorescent light bulbs. Does anybody know?

Thanks

Gus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you go with the high end aquarium bulbs you get to brag about how expensive your setup is [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

The cool white bulbs or a combination of cool white/warm white work just as well though!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    aquarium lighting is extremely high output since its made to duplicate the amount of pure sun that coral get (which is alot more than what most plants get!). In my setup, i use spiral compact flourescents that fit into regular household bases. I have 3 bulb that are about 1700 lumens each. I get great coloration
    They say if you play a Microsoft CD backwards, you hear satanic messages. Thats nothing, cause if you play it forwards, it installs Windows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fluorescent bulbs can vary considerably in color temperature and lumen output even for bulbs of the same wattage. Wattage is simply the amount of power they use.

IF you can find bulbs that are daylight/sunlight (5000-6500k kelvin) for not a whole lot more than regular coolwhite then I would go with these. They DO produce alot more blue and in some cases more lumens than the cheaper coolwhite bulbs. And since plant growth is based on photosynthesis, which is directly related to light levels and quality, they will produce healthier plants. I however would not go crazy spending alot of money for expensive specialty bulbs. If you go the extra length to find a better bulb for not a whole lot more money, might also depend whether your using them to suppliment sunlight or as the plants primary source of energy.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are a better value (19 usd), and they work reeeeal good.
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/rlhirst/light.jpg[/img]

Robin
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your reply, everyone!.

I found some good cool white bulbs for 3 dollars near my house. I know some people use them, but i still want to hear your opinion. Thanks again

Gus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use those, too, Robin. The Fluorex ones.

But I use the tubes too. You can get a lot more pots of drosera close to the light under a bank of tubes than with the fluorex lights. I use the fluorex guys on my larger nepenthes with great results.

Gus, I use a mix of "daylight" and "cool white" tubes from my local hardware store. Both are of the "very cheap" category, and work great! Figure that you're saving maybe 100 bucks a year by using four of these over a year, if you change them every six months. If that's no big deal for you, the expensive ones are probably a little better, but still not much.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After you change them though they are still fine for lighting say a garage. Oh and yeah I use cool white with fine results
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast