What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New glasshouse

Here is the pic of the new glasshouse I just built. I still havent decided yet if I am going to get another fluorex to put on top? And yes yes I know the nep looks lonely, only for a sec I am currently reallocating the stock. Thanks

387DCP_0353-med.JPG

Excuse me being blunt but what were the costs to build it yourself?
blues.gif

VERY nice, you just game me an idea. Did you take apart other, smaller tanks and bond them back up?

glasses isnt too expensive..
a glass place here in town sells glass panes to whatever size you want for $4 per sq foot

The costes werent really all that much. I put it together using stainded glass methods. Copper foiling the edges of glass and then soldering the pieces together. I had all the equipment so I just paid for the glass, and that was around 30 USD. No I didnt take apart smaller ones, I just purchased 4' X4' sheets of glass and then cut them to the size I needed. I hope the nep grows big that was the idea. Now I just need a couple more large neps to fill the space, any ideas on which ones?

Hi,

from the picture it looks like it is made like a Tiffany lamp. Did you solder it with lead? - This could be poisonous for your plants.

Cheers Joachim

Thats a cool grow chamber!Very nice!

Jerry

I think im gonna make one too. I'm gonna take apart 4, ten gallon tanks, then put them together. Since a 10 gallon tank is 20x10x12 (LxWxH) It'll be 40x20x24. (83 gallons). Each 10 gallon tank is only 10 dollars so it'll be a whopping total of 40 dollars.
By the way thought this formula might be useful:
Lenght x Width x Height / 231 = How many gallons in the tank.
Ex:
20 x 10 x 12 = 2400
2400 / 231 = 10.3 gallons (10 gallon tank)

Ae get the tanks at garage sales and you can get them for $1-2
smile.gif

Might be cheaper to buy the 5 pieces of glass (and a whole lot less work).

You could check. They have a glass cutting station in the Lowes here. I haven't checked the Homedepot. Not sure how they price it though. If you have to buy a sheet and they will simply do the cutting for you or if they charge you just for the size of the cut piece.

If you go specifically to a glass place they charge for the size of the cut piece of glass based on it's thickness, and height and width.

Worth finding out at least before you go spending money on new 10gallon aquariums. Although if you keep your eyes out you might get some deals on used ones as Pondboy mentioned ;>
Tony

it would be 40 dollars for 4 tanks since each is 10 dollars. i'm gonna check in with the home depot and look for glass shops or something here in the city, though i doubt i'll find any
confused.gif

That's a very aesthetically pleasing setup. Awesome!

Yeah.. home depot doesn't sell glass. The whole trip over there would of been a waste if i hadn't rescued a few plants
biggrin.gif
I think i'll buy those 4 ten gallon tanks.

I`d wait for a garage sale purchase if I were yu. Bt it`s you`r money:laugh:
biggrin.gif

Back