Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fungus in my terrarium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (&*^&^$#$

thats like 90% of the plants i have in there
    it doesnt get cold enough for their dormancy outside.

well it might, adnedarn would have to confirm that or not for me.

so, now what... just let them die cause they cant go dormant?
    their in the soil..
    so I just pull them and stick them in the fridge?
    (hubby wont like that...but I guess he'll have to suck it up.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps what you heard that in some instances you can grow a plant through the Winter when it should normally get a rest period. For example, plants recently out of tissue culture or germinated from seed often can skip their first year of dormancy.

If your plants are well established and have been receiving a dormancy in the past then it is best to continue with it. So your best bet would be to dig them up carefully and give them a fridge dormancy for a few months.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fungus, algae whatever is a problem for me too. I had some cobwebby stuff and I just picked it off. Now in the soil mix i am growing some green algae or something all over the soil mix. I washed all the stuff in distilled water.. peat moss, perlite, and LFS... doesn't seem to matter. The green stuff keeps coming back. Doesn't seem to make the plant grumpy though.
    http://webpages.charter.net/dwhupp/CP.jpg

\"You think the riddle of steel was bad, wait'll you try to wrap yer head around the riddle of peat\" ~mabudon

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Patch @ Oct. 29 2004,4:58)](&*^&^$#$

thats like 90% of the plants i have in there
    it doesnt get cold enough for their dormancy outside.

well it might, adnedarn would have to confirm that or not for me.

so, now what... just let them die cause they cant go dormant?
    their in the soil..
    so I just pull them and stick them in the fridge?
    (hubby wont like that...but I guess he'll have to suck it up.)
    Sorry I opened up a can of worms! No, they don't have to die. Just some modifications need to be made. Dfferent climate have their respective advantages and disadvantages. Tossing a 70 degree plant into a 40 degree fridge should't be done. There needs to be incremental changes, first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a relative newbie and have had 2 terrariums for ~4mo. One of my terrariums developed fungus on the sphagnum moss used to decorate the bottom of the tank (my plants are in individual containers in saucers sitting on the moss).

Since my plants were not in the moss, I tried a fungicide called "Captan." It worked great and after two applications, all of the fungus dissapeared and the tank looks great. You can find Captan at your local nursery or online.

Here's what I did. I made the solution of captan and put it into a squirt bottle. I took out my plants and sprayed the moss thoroughly (1/4 bottle gone) and literally dumped the rest of the fungicide into the moss. I did the same thing 3 days later. The moss absorbed the water/fungicide solution and became fungus-free. The best thing about this is the fungicide remains in the moss and prevents further outbreaks. You don't have to worry too much about it evaporating out of the moss because it's a relatively large molecule and simply precipitates in the moss as the water evaporates.

As far as the fungus that's in your plant pots, I'm assuming that you can try a weak solution of captan though I've never tried it myself (it is considered a safe fungicide in Savage Garden) but I defer to the expert judgement of the more experienced members....if they say not to use it, than you probably shouldn't use it.

Hope this helps.
    Secretary, New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) http://www.necps.org/
    Member, International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS)
    Member, North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC)
    Member, The Carnivorous Plant Society (CPS)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12