Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Terrarium cover material

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say that is a good investment. I can't quote any literature, but I thought I had read somewhere that glass allows better light through than plexiglass. When I had plexiglass, I used to flip it over every week to try to keep it straight. In the future, when using, i would use a piece bigger than just the right size to fit into the top of the tankIthe little groves they have). I put in in hastily acouple of times and the thing fell through and landed on the plants. Yuck.
    I myself use saran wrap alot, lol. It's giant drawback is that it will disintegrate within a year.

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I vote for what I use, exclusively: AIR.

I pay good money for the electricity that the fluorescent lamps use to make light for my plants -- I'm not gonna spend more money for something that will reduce the light my plants receive. Sounds kinda self-defeating.

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with the P-man on this one. But I'm also alarmed at the notion of putting lights INSIDE a small terrarium. Wouldn't it bake?

Anyway, I'd use glass, with a substanial opening to provide critical air circulation, and put the lights OUTSIDE.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Inside? Who ever said, "inside"?
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoops, that was traisnpotting (Chris) that asked that:

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]I'm planning on building a terrarium as well, I plan to place the lights on the inside. Since the cover will be over the lights and will have some support in the center, plexiglass would be best right?
    No light issues, and should not be any warping issues.
    Thanks,
    Chris
    Casplock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here air is easier to get than humidity [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]
    so I do cover. I have been trying something that is working incredibly well. I have turned the tanks on their side (which gets the plants closer to the lights and makes more room for them) and cover the opening with mirror. The reflective mirror increases the light output by a large margin and it holds the humidity at a higher level. When I can afford it I will be putting mirror into the back of my grow chambers as well.

Leave an opening for circulation.

I did put lights in my grow chambers. It works well for the most part, but does cause new problems. My chambers are large though, I would never put lights in a terrarium.
    I am just like a Super Hero, but without the power or motivation.................and the funky suit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    **** Trans form California does a modified thing of what Copper is talking about. He glued a piece of plexiglas to the top and then turned the tank on it's side. He also uses capillary mats to water the pots and they dip into a large resevoir of water on the bottom of the modified tank.
    Interesting stuff.

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I currently have 2/3rd of my terrarium covered.
    I use 2 glas pannels of a photo frame. This glass is extremely thin so it probably won't stop much light.
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/phyrex/phyrex.gif[/img]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast