What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lighting

Wesley

God must have an interesting sense of humor
Would you recomend one of these for my 10 gal cp terrarium?

Lights

Thanks,
~Wes~

I don't think your going to get enough light intensity with that.

I would get a clear cover for the terrarium and put a high wattage compact fluorescent bulb in one of those clip on reflecter/bulb socket units over it.

Tony

thanks, I have been looking for shoplight type fixtures for my 10 gal, and I am not haveing much luck. I have looked at two walmarts and one lowes, and would like to get by homedepot soon. Where did you get yours?

Like a 2 tube shoplight fixture?

Won't be easy to find such a unit for your 10g tank. 2' long fixtures are not as common. That's why I suggested one of the spiral compact fluorescent bulbs in one of them clip on reflector gizmos.

If you have room you would be a whole lot better off getting another 10g tank and putting them end to end and hanging a 4' fixture over them. The 4' fixtures and bulbs are cheaper than the 2' units.

I would LOVE to be able to do that and I think I have the space to do it. What kind of 4' fixture do you have(I'm assuming you have one as you know so much about it)? Could you possibly post a pic of yours?

Thanks,
~Wes~

Just a plain old 4' 2 tube shoplight fixture from Lowes, the cheaper the better! They have been carrying stainless steel ones which is nice.. has a nice little reflector.

It will require some wiring in order to plug it into a standard outlet. If you talk to the folks in the electrical department and explain you want to wire in a cord to plug it into an outlet they can get you all the pieces you need.

Tony

Thanks, I think my dad could show me that if not, yea I could talk to the people in the ecelctical department.

For a 10G, I would reccomend a Fluorex CF outdoor light from Home Depot or Lowes.

$35 and is 65 watts 6k spectrum. Here is my setup that I am changing tonight cause I got a new tank and stand. I'll post more pics later of my setup. Here's what it was like before...you can see I sit the light on top of a custom paneling I made with a fan. I have a fogger inside and I get 10F lower temps and really high humidity.
10G(Medium).JPG

10G%20On(Medium).JPG

I don't know if it is just me, but the sides of your tank aren't getting too much light... Maybe open up the sides of the place where you put the lights allowing it to spread out more evenly across the whole terrainium?

Back