What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shade cloth %

I assume the % rating given to shade cloth is the % of light that they block?

So 50% shade cloth blocks 50% of the light from getting through.

If so what would 2x layers of 50% shade cloth equate to?

I was finding the single layer of 50% (white) on my glasshouse was not providing quite enough protection, so I have added a second layer to the sunnier/hotter end in an attempt to reduce light and heat (just slightly).

I was just wondering if this would now be closer to 75% blocked…… 50% blocked with the first layer and 50% blocked of the remaining %50 by the second layer.

Or is it not that straight forward?

Thanks,

Aaron.

Hi Aaron:

50% white shade is not the same as 50% green shade, even though both are supposed to block only 50% of the light.

Gus

Yes, I've noticed that Gus and think I asked about it hear some time ago.

Last summer I used 50% green, but switched to 50% white this year (same manufacturer and supplier) in and attempt to allow a bit more light in.

I now have no doubt greater light is getting through with the white.  Hence my adding another layer in order to compensate.  Not only have I seen a response in the plants to the higher light levels but I am also finding that temps seem to get a bit higher. Evap cooler will be installed next week to address that issue.

Overall it was not a major issue, but it looked like a few of my larger plants (hanging high up at the sunny end of the glasshouse) were getting their light tolerances pushed right to the edge.  The plants have no damage, are growing at a good rate and producing huge colourful pitchers.  This "limit" showed as a 'colouring up’ of the mature leaves with bronze, red, orange, etc.    This colouring was stronger the more perpendicular the leaf surface was to the sun.

Post-winter I was happy to see this colouring, but as day lengths are increasing and the sun getting some punch back I just had a feeling some plants were reaching their limit and the time had come to back of a little.

Namely this was a couple of large N. maximas (all green form and a typical form).  I moved the green form to a slightly lower light area a few weeks back and it seems to be happier with the newer growth getting more green colouration back.

On the other hand I have a few other HL species in the same area.  They love the high light and would certainly take more.  N. vent and any of my N. vent hybrids being the main ones liking it.

Aaron.

Aaron:

it is a bit unusual for the white cloth to allow higher temperature since white colour tend to reflect light and heat and black usually absorbs it.

Gus

Gus,

Maybe it's that the surface is not actually flat and much of the light is reflected back through the shade cloth?

I'll have to see if I can get a light meter from on of my aquarium friends and test it out.

Aaron.

Aaron:

That's a good idea. Please post your results. i am very much interested in the outcome.

Gus

Back