What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fluorex lights

Does anyone know where the best place to buy them at?  Do they have them at Lowes or Home Depot?

I bought mine at Home Depot, but I know that not all of their stores carry them.

Does it require any electrical work or is ready to plug in to a 120v outlet?

You have to wire a plug to the end cause its actually an outdoor security light so they are meant to be wired in to the house or garage. I had no difficulties in wiring it just make the right conection and I cut my second ground but I suppose it might be recomended to use a 3 prong plug technically.
(Note: I am not an electrician and know very little about electricity and currents)

Joe

Home Depot here. $35. Just wired a lamp cord to it. I don't think a ground is all that necessary... I'm not an electrician either but I know I have plenty of appliances with two prong cords that draw more power than a Fluorex.

Yes, Home Depot or Lowes. $35 for unit with ballast, and $13 for the replacement CF 65 watt bulbs.
You can wire it using two wires, polarity doesn't matter on AC.
Now adding a ground wire is a good idea if you don't wanna get shocked by accident around wet areas.
If you are putting the light over alot of water, you should ground it to the earth, just for safety sake.
I have grown my CP's under this one light in my 10G terrarium with great results. My VFT's got redder and have huge traps. The Neps however I'm not sure yet, they have smaller leaves and large redder pitchers. Is that a good thing?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] The Neps however I'm not sure yet, they have smaller leaves and large redder pitchers. Is that a good thing?

Hell yeah!

If the pitcher to leaf size ratio increases then that is generally a good thing right?

Anyone know any international stores which carry these lights, there doesn't seem to be any where I live.

just got 7 at Costco for $10 bucks each. Yes, you read that right...$10 bucks each. I had to spring 4 bucks for each one to get an open-ended powercord, and I wired 'em up. Nice. Just did this over the highland tank (lowland tank not set up yet from the move), and I can't WAIT to see the effect it will have on the plants.

ONly 10 buks, oo, I was at costco yesterday.
I didn't see. WAs it on sale?

You can almost always buy them on Ebay for $15

Leslie, I have a feeling that I just got lucky. I hope they have them again after x-mas when I will (hopefully ;) ) have some more $$ to spend.

Back