What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greenhouse plants

Does anyone know how much it would cost to build a small greenhouse (6'tall, 4ft wide, 4ft long)? Does anyone have plants to build a cheap greenhouse. Termites are a real problem here.
Tre

What were you thinking in terms of material?  Termites are a problem here in OK too, but the wood usually rots at about the same pace.  I use treated wood for anything touching the ground because of that.  They have come out with some new processes that are not quite as poisonous as before.

To keep cost down, use plastic and 1" pvc pipe for the upper structure.  Larger plans for such a greenhouse can be found on the web.  Personnally, I have a friend in the house construction industry and got all my wood pieces just by raiding the dumpsters or cleaning up a site.  It didn't take that long either.  

Hopefully I will have time this winter to get my greenhouse constructed right and get away from all the smaller ones around the yard.  Wife is getting pretty grumpy about my projects everywhere.  But hey, she always knows where I am.

My plans are for a greenhouse, 12' X 20' about 8' high.  So far my purchases have been a door from the reuse store, $30.00 and 6 mil plastic, $13.00.  I have also absconded with 18 pieces of glass, from replacing sliding glass doors.  Called a contractor that does installation of new sliding doors and he had a whole yard full of this glass, just waiting for me.  

Put your thinking cap on.  Pick up the church directory and you will be surprised by who you know that does what.  In just talking with people at my church and in the neighborhood, I now have my eye on a real greenhouse out of an old Sears Catalog that may be given away here shortly.  It is a hexagon, 8' tall, 4' at the middle with all the lights, venting already in it.  Sometimes you just get lucky!

Have fun!!

Buy a Flowerhouse. You can get them from Yardiac for about 300 dollars. There are other places that are a bit cheaper. One of my two is from yardiac, and it's about 8' by 8' by 6'10" tall. It was about 330 dollars.

Back