What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need sources for a good sized epdm liner

• Thread starter LauraZ5
  • Start date
[b said:
Quote[/b] (LauraZ5 @ Dec. 27 2004,4:11)]I don't want to save this thread but there is a thread I want to save that has germination information in it
I'll assume you are using Internet Explorer and not Mozilla, Firefox, etc. To save a web page on your computer:

1) Click on "File" in the tool bar at the top of your browser.

2) Select "Save as". A box titled "Save Web Page" will pop up. At the top of the box is the "Save in" window with a drop down menu and five icons to the right of the window.

3) Make sure it is saving it to where you want it to. Ie "My Documents" or where ever you want it to be.

4) Click the third icon to "Create new folder" and name the new folder "Soil mediums" or whatever makes it easiest for you to remember the topic you will save in it. When you have the folder named, open it.

5) Check the File name field under the large window. You may want to change the name to something more discriptive or shorter than the default file name.

6) Click the save button. You have saved the web page to your computer. You will have to do this for each page of the topic as it only saves the page you are viewing and not the whole topic.

To look at the page you just saved, open the folder you saved it in. Inside you will see a folder with the name you saved the page under and a file with the same name ending with the .htm extension. For instance, you save the page as "Pingmans Soil Mediums". You will have a folder named Pingmans Soil Mediums and a file named Pingmans Soil Mediums.htm. Now click on the file ending in htm. A browser window will pop up showing the page you saved.

Hope this helps.

Ah! I have pingman's soil mix!  Thank you very much!  Now to tackle the thread that had all those photos in it and that other thread on seed germination tips!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LauraZ5 @ Dec. 27 2004,6:11)]Jim, I tried to right click but all it is doing is saving the web page in my Internet Explorer "My Favorites". I don't think they archive these threads for ever.
Looks like BCK covered it well. He is MY mentor with all this computer stuff! Anyways, I save pictures that came through PMs on favorites / bookmarks. Once in awhile I check to make sure they are still there.

[/QUOTE] I can't get your links to work for your photos though. I am probably doing something wrong.

only the links under "building a water bed" work right now.

it sure does look like you have come a long way in only 3 years. What state do you live in? I saw your P. caerula, I love that Ping and that is one I will want some day in the future. Very pretty plant.

i live in Everett, WA, about a couple blocks from the bay. i have been sucessfully growing for three years, if you count the experamental ones i would say 4 1/2. i got most of my plants from a shop in Seattle or online at www.cobraplant.com always good plants and service (were i got P.caerula). i was given for christmas last year the club membership they offer which is why my plants have tripled.

I surrender pinkerton!  I went to your site and picked up that you must volunteer at an animal shelter as you foster cats- good for you as I have fostered myself and I was at over 400 when I bowed out to begin fostering two legged "critters".  I caught that you believe in spay/neuter and based on the millions of companion species killed annually, I sure do wish more folk shared your beliefs as opposed to subscribing to anthropomorhization or perhaps pure and unadulterated cheapness and/or laziness. Lemme see here... I'm too chicken (and probably too old) to pull off a tatoo but always wanted to try one of a leopard frog on a lily pad with a damsel fly above on my shoulder but I think the thought of pain got to me. I still love that P. caerula and maybe next year I will track one down but I need to add plants slowly to better insure they live or I get really upset.  I'm still sitting shiva over a U. sandersonii blue that was the Utric I lusted for right up there neck and neck with resupinata and it croaked on me.  Now about that link for "building a waterbed" at your site that is supposed to project me to photos of your pond... I give up.  I must be really blind.  I can not for the life of me find it and I think I have poked around everywhere over there. How about posting a direct link to the photos of your pond for me and just consider me a lost cause in the computer literacy department.

okay, here they are:
01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10
i do volunteer at the animal shelter from time to time. it's safer to space it out otherwise i end up with hords of fosters animals.

Thank you!  All but the very first link worked for me.  You did a great job!  What did you ultimately put in your pond?  I liked the way you finished off the edge and hid your lining material. Have you selected any aquatic plants for in there yet?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LauraZ5 @ Dec. 28 2004,6:56)]I'm still sitting shiva over a U. sandersonii blue that was the Utric I lusted for right up there neck and neck with resupinata and it croaked on me.
Laura, I may be the only person on these here forums that knows what the one word means!j ('
smile_l_32.gif
')
smilie

I am seriously considering emplacing a mini-bog in a boggy area by the edge of the stream that runs behind our townhouse apartment. All I would need is plastic sheeting. I have the Canadian peat. If my complimentary digital camera still had power, I'd post a pic.

Oops... It was meant as a joke. You caught it ;)

Some thoughts on the stream, consider leaving it be in favor of placing your bog closer to the downspout of your townhome. The Army Corps and Watershed Management could become real pains if they espied something like that near that stream.  You could be biting off far more than any mere mortal may ever want to chew.  

Rather than going with plastic sheeting, what about an animal trough?  We have many farm supplies and animal feed retailers around here and I bet you do too in your area. People use these troughs/stock tanks for everything from ponds to bogs to areas to overwinter aquatic plants in their basements and garages. The ones below are Rubbermaid products but there are many other manufacturers of stock tanks.
http://www.brusselsagri.com/farm_supplies/rubbermaid.htm

Another possibility to consider might be an actual preform pond.  Those seem to be cropping up everywhere these days and the Home Depot around us carries them so yours might carry them too. I have seen some of the 30 gallon preforms and they are very nice. People are leaving those out on patios as decorative planters.  They actually look attractive. I have a few and I can move them around by myself with a decent sized hand dolly fully loaded with a soil mix or water.  

I'm thinking that if you had to move to a new home, you'd have a stab at relocating your bog and plants as one entity if you chose a material that was more permanent. It'd be a son of a gun hoisting a filled one out of the ground but you'd eventually get it up and out with help and there would be little or no disturbance to the plants.  Just a thought.  We had many of our plants in portable "homes" for the year before we moved to our current location.  Fish too for that matter.

the only aquatic i have growing right now is U. radiata (at least i think it is...). i always get it confused with another U. r____ name because they both have yellow flowers and look so similar. i'd have to go look it up in my book again. it's doing well at keeping the algee & mosquitoes down, and that's what really matters to me. it just floats along inbetween all the pots and bricks. no worries about the first link, i think it's just me & one of my housemates clearing out the "garden".

Back