Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need sources for a good sized epdm liner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need to purchase an epdm liner that is about 25 x 50.

I am in need of smelling salts as a result of some of the prices I found. I do want it to be .45.

Does anyone have any sources that will not leave me penniless? I have the hole so I will need a liner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a pretty big piece! Luckily smelling salts are not that expensive.

Maybe this will help. Don't know where this falls in the $ scale but it's a start..
    http://www.pondliner.com/EPDMSizes.htm

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To bad they dont have a shipping calculator before you fill out all your information.

Jerry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shipping is certainly a consideration. Liner is not exactly light. It wouldn't surprise me if your looking at $50-$75 freight fees. $.36/ftsq seems about the cheapest I could find on stock width cut to length 45mil epdm.

Might consider a less expensive type liner? PVC or one of the others?

Also good plan to put an underlayment down first.

Tony

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the pricing I had found to be the best which is comparable to what you found-
    http://www.azponds.com/pond_liner.htm
    Shipping was about the same too at around $100.00.

As far as underlayment, there are prople who have used old carpeting but seems to me that over time those who use carpeting always end up with a leak of some sort thanks to missing a carpet staple. I suppose I could use an actual underlayment... smelling salts are cheap. I've been using sand delivered to the site which unfortunately costs more than actual underlayment when delivered but that was for preforms that were considerably smaller. I don't know if exclusively using sand is the greatest idea this time around though although I feel it provides the best cushion and has the added benefit of not deteriorating over time. My thoughts were to go with the sand for the bottom and geotextile fabrics for the sides.

Then to throw a monkey wrench into my decision making process, I ran into this which offers a .60-

http://www.jm.com/roofing....146.pdf

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't actually look at the link Laura but it does mention roofing. I am not a pond expert but my understanding is that the epdm they use for roofing is not 100% safe for ponds. So just a word of caution to research carefully.

T

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have several ponds although I am no expert by any means. Two naturally occurring ponds, 1 roofing lined pond, and several preforms primarily for herps. This new hole I had excavated is for a bog in which to grow plants indigenous to my area which would include CPs. Incredibly, I'm thinking that CPs might be more sensitive to chemicals than koi which is why I was considering actual pond liner this time around as opposed to Johns Mansville roofing liner or Firestone roofing membrane. I would like to go the route of roofing liner to save a few hundred dollars but am hesitating to do so because I am not dealing with fish or herps this time but CPs. I researched this pond/roof liner deal a while ago as pertained to actual ponds and truly was incapable of discerning any difference other than that which would be associated with how each particular product was marketed. The roofing liner does appear to be shipped with talc and an ever so negligible amount of a film which appears to be quite easily removed with Dawn dish washing detergent while pond liner appears to be devoid of both the talc and the film. I tried to contact the manufacturers and was incapable of getting either to come right out and state that fish or frogs would die if I used roofing liner as opposed to pond liner. They spoke of differing cure processes and promptly claimed a roofing liner would not be guaranteed if used as a pond liner. What is interesting is that they claimed pond liners had passed the EPA and ASTM fish friendly tests yet no mention was made as to whether roofing liners were ever even tested. I tried to get them to bite and no takers. Countless people are using roofing liners in their fish and herp ponds and experiencing no fish/herp loss or birth abnormalities in fry/tads. Bottom line is that our CPs and our fish/herps are most probably exposed to far greater risks from PVC plumbing than from rubber roofing used as a liner and I did trench a 150' pvc line from a sump pump pit down to the area where the new bog will be. The elastomer that manufacturers use in poly vinyl chloride products to make it flexible has been determined to be carcinogenic. Pure PVC is quite brittle without the additives. Quite frankly, I don't know what to do right now. I discontinued my lawn service because of the chemicals they were using. I wasn't too thrilled about my kids rolling around in a "Scott's" or "True Green" lawn anyway and I have no doubt this benefited every living creature in the local vicinity. I try my best to be conscientious but I don't know enough about CPs to determine if it is safe to go with anything but an "approved" pond liner that passed those EPA and ASTM fish friendly tests and that .60 Johns Manville product at the same price as the .45 liners you and I both found is tempting. I've got a few months to decide.

Currently I have one tiny little bog that is maybe 200 gallons max. It is a round kiddie pool and I hid the turquoise edge by adding cultured stone. What are others using as liners for their bogs?

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just commenting on the acronym ASTM: My job entails that I prepare samples for ASTM analysis - also for TCLP (stuff that ends up in landfills). I never thought I'd see ASTM used in conversation outside of work. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast