Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question about fluorescents

apple rings.. what more can i say? FlytrapGurl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tony, yeah, I know it's "flourescents"... I never make that many typos in regular situations.. I guess it's the amount of pressure to not make a typo in a topic title that screws me up -_^
    Liquid Plummer
    Warning: Do not reuse the bottle to store beverages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any time you can't sleep at night because you made a typo in your title.. just contact a mod via pm with a link to the thread and a message on how it should read.

btw the title for this thread has been edited and is certified typo free hehe

Joe.. I certainly don't want to squelch any homegrown tinkering [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

apple rings.. what more can i say? FlytrapGurl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm.. I still see "fluorescents"...
    Liquid Plummer
    Warning: Do not reuse the bottle to store beverages.

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FTG,
    It's supposed to be "uo" NOT "ou". Fluorescent-Not Flourescent. That would make it luminating of ground wheat.
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joe,

Thanks for the overdriving idea -- I am experimenting with the use of this idea today. Earlier this afternoon I moseyed on down to our local "Home Depot" store and purchased some Shop light fixtures for $7.97 each (this is much cheaper even than purchasing replacement ballasts alone). They are pre-assembled and I spent most of the day disassembling every other one and them reassembling each pair into one overdriven dual-lamp unit, rewiring each ballast to overdrive a single lamp. I removed the ballast from one, rewired it to power a single lamp vs. dual lamps and inserted it into a light fixture where I had already rewired the on-board ballast and one lamp.

It is easy to see that the lamps are burning much brighter. I am curious to see how long the lamps last when overdriven like this. I am much more curious to find out how the plants respond to the increase in light.

The fixtures come without lamps. Fortunately I had earlier located a clearance sale on Philips F40T12/Contractors CW/Alto lamps, 30 lamps for $20.00 or about $.67 each. My stockpile of these is quickly diminishing so I am anxiously looking for other sales of similar lamps.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pingman,

I have not used them for an extensive period of time yet but I figure however many times you X it, figure about the same in decrease of life.

I'm thinking like: 80wtt on 40wtt bulb cuts the life in half. (6mo.?)
    Yes, it is pretty easy to see the difference in light output. So far, I've noticed the plants pick up in growth. My only concern is some of my lights are UVB lights in 9000K (Blue). I am curious as to how the plant will respond to a double in UV over a period of time. Normally they like the UV, at normal output. Oh!

WARNING! OVERDRIVEN FLUOROS WILL BURN PLANTS AND YOU! THEY GET ALOT HOTTER!

Let me know how it goes with your lights.

Take care
    Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i overdrive them. works great. the vho ballast runs 440 watts, so i have about 480 watts over the plants like, 8 inches away. (2 of the lights are 20 watt 18 inch no tubes i stole from some fishtanks in the basement )

i replace every 3 months or so.

they really do get alot hotter. about an inch away the air is approx. 112 degrees F.

where the plants are it's in the mid 80's in winter, lowm 90's in summer. it's lowland so they like it [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So for those of us who use 48" shoplights, because they sit perfectly on two ten gallon aquariums end-to-end...what do you use to overdrive a 40 watt set-up, lol?
    Just curious, as I probably won't rewire anything like that, but it is interesting.

Cheers,

Joe

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast