Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bog garden this spring!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, it is. Basically lawn grass. What kind of edging would you recommend?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I amalso thinking about utilizing several 15" X 18" Sterilite containers. They have holes on the four sides. I could put sand, peat, and LFS in and let the standing water slow in and out. Do you think that would work?

For the 5 "invasive" types of utrics I have I was considering using one sterilte per, so they can spread out. Then, for the ones that aren't spreading with alacrity, I can place 6 each into one Sterilite. Another Sterilite I was going to devote to propogating live LFS.

Is it wiser to attempt germination of Darlingtonia inside, first, before moving them outside.... or to give them a start outside, directly?

Do people place their VFT's and Sarracenias and Droseras in a bog with or without pots?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I had a bog garden, the VFTs and Sarras did not need pots. They don't spread very fast at all. The drosera on the other hand may be a different story. If you're not careful, they may end up covering the whole area in sticky dew! If you intend to plant sundews like D. binata or D. capensis, pots might not be a bad idea.

The flip side of the coin is just to let it all go and see what happens. I rather enjoyed having d. spatulata surrounding my vfts. No insect got away! That's my experience at least.

Snowy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

I'm curious. What do you consider invasive type Utrics?

Glenn

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I borrowed the phrase as it was referring to U. subulata, livida, sandersonii, and bisquamata. It was another way of expressing the concept of highly successful at spreading.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Jan. 19 2005,9:43)]I amalso thinking about utilizing several 15" X 18" Sterilite containers. They have holes on the four sides. I could put sand, peat, and LFS in and let the standing water slow in and out. Do you think that would work?

For the 5 "invasive" types of utrics I have I was considering using one sterilte per, so they can spread out. Then, for the ones that aren't spreading with alacrity, I can place 6 each into one Sterilite. Another Sterilite I was going to devote to propogating live LFS.

Is it wiser to attempt germination of Darlingtonia inside, first, before moving them outside.... or to give them a start outside, directly?

Do people place their VFT's and Sarracenias and Droseras in a bog with or without pots?
    I think that the containers would work fine. My bog is free growing. I have labels with each plant, but all are straight into the bog, no containers.

Edging - Use a deep plastic edging or think ml plastic.

For invasive utrics, the will probably escape out of the holes. I do not mind them in my bog. Its natural.

I would start the darlingtonia started inside and then harden to the outside.
    I am just like a Super Hero, but without the power or motivation.................and the funky suit.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12