Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bog garden this spring!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been toying with the notion to put in a bog garden a few feet in from the streamlet that devoured my Cobra Lily last year. There are several places along its edge that are naturally swampy and I found one close by that has a raised perimeter and shaped like a sinkhole. I've got plenty of Canadian peat. Should I mix other media in? Should I line it with plastic sheeting or a kiddie pool? Wahddya think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it stays pretty wet leave it natural. I would add some peat or sphagnum moss. It is sandy? If not add some sand (blasting or pool) as well. I added perlite to my bog media and the plants appear to appreciate it.

Let me know if you decide to go for it as I have several types of young sarra.
    I am just like a Super Hero, but without the power or motivation.................and the funky suit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the hole infull sun or in shade? If in shade I would find a different hole. Is there anyway you could dig your own bog?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know that the habitats I've seen Sarracenia in on the gulf coast are heavy clay, so I don't know that amending the soil is too important, depending on what soil you already have. So long as it's acidic (as clay in the south tends to be), I don't think the plants really care one way or the other.
    Newnan (Atlanta), GA
    - what do you do when your bog is full? you build another. and another. and another. then you buy some pots. and some more. and some more. and some more. then you wonder how much it would cost to rework the hydrology in your yard to place your house on an island. -

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is in a mostly sunny location. We live in the Reading, PA area, in a townhouse, so my gardening activities are "on a leash". It is clayey in the East.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine is in mostly sun and does fine. If you are worried about shade grow some cannas or decorative bushes around the edge where it is drier. If this is a natural swampy area nature has done the hardest part for you, shade can be added.
    I am just like a Super Hero, but without the power or motivation.................and the funky suit.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is also a grassy area. Should I remove the grass?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That I would recommend. Also put some deep edging around it if you grass is a rhizome type.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast