What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growth chamber

i have heard about turning a old deep freeze into a growth chamber. How do i do this? Does the cooling part of freezer need to work? thanks

Brad

if you want to use it for highlands, the whole point is for the cooling part to work

Unless you're planning on keeping it some place constantly cold (or adding your own cooling system) I think the built-in cooling needs to be in working order. You should also find a way to regulate the temperature reliably, which may entail adding a new, more sensitive thermostat. Alternatively, you could put all the hardware (lights, humidifier, anything else you might have operating while growing) into the freezer, fire it up, and see if the built-in thermostat can reliably control the temperature within the needs of your plants. If it's a freezer, I'd suspect the internal thermostat won't go much higher than just above freezing, so you'll probably have to take the former route and wire in some new parts.
If you know anything about electronics, you can get pretty much all the parts you need to build a thermostat for free from manufacturers as development kits. Holmes (the heater/air conditioner company) makes thermometer and hygrometer elements and offers them in packs of ten or a dozen for free (if you're 'looking to develop a product with their parts.') The other necessary parts can be obtained at little or no cost from microelectronics suppliers (also as development kits.) I'm looking to do this for my own grow setup, once I have the time.
Good luck, and keep us updated!
~Joe

Talk to Jeremiah. He just recently converted a chest freezer into a grow chamber for his highland neps

Back