User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Growth chamber

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have heard about turning a old deep freeze into a growth chamber. How do i do this? Does the cooling part of freezer need to work? thanks

Brad
    thanks for you imput

Brad

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you want to use it for highlands, the whole point is for the cooling part to work

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless you're planning on keeping it some place constantly cold (or adding your own cooling system) I think the built-in cooling needs to be in working order. You should also find a way to regulate the temperature reliably, which may entail adding a new, more sensitive thermostat. Alternatively, you could put all the hardware (lights, humidifier, anything else you might have operating while growing) into the freezer, fire it up, and see if the built-in thermostat can reliably control the temperature within the needs of your plants. If it's a freezer, I'd suspect the internal thermostat won't go much higher than just above freezing, so you'll probably have to take the former route and wire in some new parts.
    If you know anything about electronics, you can get pretty much all the parts you need to build a thermostat for free from manufacturers as development kits. Holmes (the heater/air conditioner company) makes thermometer and hygrometer elements and offers them in packs of ten or a dozen for free (if you're 'looking to develop a product with their parts.') The other necessary parts can be obtained at little or no cost from microelectronics suppliers (also as development kits.) I'm looking to do this for my own grow setup, once I have the time.
    Good luck, and keep us updated!
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Talk to Jeremiah. He just recently converted a chest freezer into a grow chamber for his highland neps
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List