User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone tried lighting with t-5's?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know. Such a shame, taking all of the confusion out of European touring. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Are T5s there used in industrial and commercial lighting, or are they mostly used in aquarium setups?
    There's no 'a' in perlite.

My Growlist
    NECPS.org - New England CP growers unite!

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd love to get some T-5s or T-8s for my setup... Presently I have 4' T-12s on a metro rack; it would be great to get a "4' fixture" that actually fits within 4'. What's the price difference between T-5s and T-8s? When I looked into buying lights earlier this season, everything but the T-12s were going for far more than I can (or want to) pay...
    Thanks
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    T5s are the shiznit ( [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img] )

They are worth the $$$ if you are interested in quality lighting but can be very costly. I don't have any but have seen many a setup using them. LEDs are making the market as well with very narrow wavelengths for very specific applications. I suspect they would be extremely usefull in marine setup. Since you could come up with a perfect spectrum for your reef and algaes as well as cutting out the useless wavelengths which waste watts. Watts = $$$

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are there actually UV spectrum LEDs? It's not impossible, but doesn't seem very likely. UV is what a lot of reef tanks need, isn't it?
    There's no 'a' in perlite.

My Growlist
    NECPS.org - New England CP growers unite!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    t5's are cool, I set up a friends reef tank using them. what makes them so great is thier compactness, even more so then the so ironicly names power compacts.

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]These are the hot new bulbs in reefkeeping, replacing in many cases the venerated metal halides, they have that much punch.
    I wouldn't go as far as saying replacing MH's. Maybe for plants but not for reefs. I'd like to see ones results trying to grow tridacnids and SPS with t5s, ain't going to happen. And lets not talk about montis and deresas, squamosas, I'm talking about the real tridacnids and SPS's, LOL

but overall they are impressive for small terrarium applications but you still can't beat point source lighting when it comes to illuminating large spaces....
    https://www.instagram.com/hull.jess/ (I post pics of my plants there)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will definately go so far to say "replacing metal halides" IN SOME APPLICATIONS in the reef.

Case in point, the following link is PICTURE INTENSIVE so dial up beware. This tank is completely lit with T-5's. While they don't have the ability to punch through to the depth of a halide, in shallow tanks, they are becoming widely accepted economical replacements.

Note, LPS, SPS, and T. Maxima's (deeper you go in the thread, the more pics you will see.)

Reef Central thread, Tanks lit with ONLY T-5's.
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

drosera guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (superimposedhope @ Jan. 30 2005,4:34)]T5s are the shiznit ( [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img] )

They are worth the $$$ if you are interested in quality lighting but can be very costly. I don't have any but have seen many a setup using them. LEDs are making the market as well with very narrow wavelengths for very specific applications. I suspect they would be extremely usefull in marine setup. Since you could come up with a perfect spectrum for your reef and algaes as well as cutting out the useless wavelengths which waste watts. Watts = $$$

Joe
    If you think about your electricity bill and think about buying a new fluorescent lighting system you should buy the new technology. It has a much higher effiency than the old T8 or even more than T12. It will be 2 years and every company will put T5 in new built buildings.

In Germany many aquarium fans think about T5 or MH, it depends on your needs. You get many light colours for both technologies.

Cheers,
    Jan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just set up a lighting shelf with 40 watt T-12 lamps (GE Residential 40) with a color temp of 4100K, and 3150 lumen output.

Should these be sufficient for my plants?
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast