Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Photoperiods

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hehe, I had a feeling you'd say that. I've looked for books about them but had little luck... my succulent books have the most vague instructions imaginable. Thanks for the tip on the light, though - I'll have to commandeer some more space for a 24hr-light rack. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want a good botanical cactus book; Check out Dr. Edward Andersons last publication, I don't remember the name of the book but its a monster. Also in the comming months the New Cactus Lexicon is being released the latest official compendium by the Director of International Cactaceae Taxonomic Systematics Group Dr. Hunt. (no relation). This will be 2 books, 1) is a Lexicon and 2) is an Atlas with Photos and Field data.

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So Joe, which plants do you have on 24-hour light? I checked with Bugweed, and he was just referring to starting Sarracenia (if any of you are interested, he also suggested a heat mat at eighty degrees Fahrenhiet.) I was wondering if I could get away with putting my other CPs on this schedule, particularly my Drosera. I know lots of other plants can tolerate constant light, so I figure it's probably worth trying...
    ~Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well,

The only rule is there are no rules. The other rule is that failure is inevitable, don't be mad if a plant dies in an unnatural situation even if it was previously successfull. To be honest with you; my Sarrs are outside year round and my Ceph sits in a window with only natural day hours. My Neps are under 24hr lights, other than that I don't collect Utric, Ping, etc. only pitcher plants except I don't have a Cobra. So I couldn't tell ya anything about them, except try it with common abundant plants. If anything it'll just make a plant that won't bloom for a while. Remember that if you keep a plant on 24 hr light (growth cycle), it needs nutrition. Also a plant in constant growth needs better light than dormant plant. Depending on the plant though. Nepenthes are the only CP I have under artificial light.
    Bugweeds right about the bottom heat being beneficial to root formation and continued growth. If I use it (occasionally) I set it at 78 F.

Good Luck
    Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm... I could definitely stick a few Neps in and see what they think, and the D. capensis should be able to take it if anything else can. This is great info; thanks guys.
    ~Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D. capensis is deffinately a good test subject and maybe P. primiflora(sp?). I have had good growth from all my Neps in that reguard.

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (kirkwmartin @ Feb. 14 2005,12:14)]No real scientific reason but wish I were a techie geek who could adjust my lighting with the seasons and automatically adjust photoperiod accordingly. Anybody design an "easy way of doing that?"
    This sounds vaguely like a jab in my direction. If you haven't been convinced instead to go 24/7, emulating the natural daylength is really not difficult. The easiest way is to buy the basic HAL kit from automatedliving.com or Ebay (not sure what the going price is-probably not more than $50), along with an appliance module (X-10) from Radio Shack (about $12) for each gadget you want t0 control. Hook the included CM11a adapter to your computer, install the software, plug your lights into the appliance modules, and you're all set.

Alternatively you can just buy the CM11a (<$30 if you're patient) or even a cheap "Firecracker" (CM15?) and appliance modules on Ebay and install Mister House, which is trickier to set up than HAL, but free, more stable, and can run in linux or windows.

Now that i know Wild Bill's secret photoperiod formula, i'm going to be the one bring endless beautiful plants for the NECPS auction! Mwahahaha!
    There's no 'a' in perlite.

My Growlist
    NECPS.org - New England CP growers unite!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose that I'll ad that I have no idea if there are any long term affects from 24hr lighting. Maybe advanced aging and premature death? I don't know and haven't seen anything about this for perrenials in general. Also I would make an educated guess that timing your lighting to daylength is most likely the healthiest for a plant. Veg and flower cycles are healthy and normal. Then again adaption is seen easily in plants.
    Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans&#33;\"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast