What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water movement in a bog

• Thread starter Sib
  • Start date
  • Tags
    bog
My bog beds more of a border, it'll be about 4' by 30-40' with a minimum depth of 2'. should I have some type of pump to move the water a bit atleast? runnong from one end to the other maybe? let me know, thanks,
Sib

Sib, my bog garden has running water, and works just fine. Water flow does not have to be great, just moving, and the plants will benefit by having oxygen drawn into the soil, helping to prevent root rot, and other similar problems caused by standing water. I have had my bog garden pumping merrily away for 15 years, without any problems. I have s. flava "Marston Dwarf", s. leucophylla "Schnells Ghost", S.r. gulfensis "stocky form" Yellow River, Fla., and one natural hybrid growing in it along with almost all of my VFT's. Pings are in there, along with droseras anglica, capillaris, intermedia "Carolina Giant", and brevifolia. Since where they live in a bog, the water is slow moving beneath the soil, they have no problem accepting this condition as home. And will grow in a very healthy way. I only have to sweat cut worm.

sounds nice, Im gonna set up a new bog next month with a fountain I might put some soil on the bottom of the fountin and put some white leus there that seems to look very nice

Why don't you hold off on that, Kirk. I will send you drawings of my set up, and you can copy it, or use any new ideas of your own. I suggest a 30 gph Beckett pump for that. Small, but efficient.

I plan to put in a mini-bog in a concave area that is naturally boggy, a few feet from the streamlet that runs behind our home. I plant to use several plastic Sterilite containers, that have holes on all four sides. The dimensions of the containers are 12" x 18" x 6" (L x W X H). Should I cut a canal to lead to this area for water flow or will the water underneath and the many holes be enough?

Back