Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: In ground bod garden?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's the start of my little round Kiddie pool bog when it was first set up-

At the time this photo was taken, the bog was resting in sand and leveled but I hadn't filled sand in around the sides yet.

Here's how I addressed the edge-

The cultured stone was basically just set in place at that time so I could get an idea of how it would look. It now completely covers the edge and you can't see any of that aqua blue at all.

Here's the mortar mixer I now use-

Beats the heck out of stomping around to try to mix those bog ingredients and it goes a heck of a lot faster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    excellent posts everyone! keep em comming! i know that ozzy has a kiddie pool bog, where are his witty comments at?

laura, thank you for posting! are there certian plants you think do better in a fen compared to an acid bog (i'm thinking acid bog here)? i have pine trees in my yard, but don't know what kind they are. does it really matter that much?

thanks again everyone! i'm having computer issues at my house, so i can't get on here much till i get it fix. keep the posts comming!

peace,
    tech...
    Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
    Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most plants have very specific cultural requirements. Although I am not all that familiar with carnivorous plants, I am somewhat familiar with North American native species (specifically east of the Rockies) that would be most likely to thoroughly enjoy and thrive in either environment. In what state do you reside and let me know whether you are going for a fen or an actual acid bog. I also need to know how much light your site will receive and I'll try my best.

Also too, the pines you have may not necessarily be the greatest source of acid. I from time to time increase the acidity by putting a Tblsp of vinegar or two in a watering can of about 2 gallons and sprinkle. Pine needles are absolutely great for mulching over your bog at the close of the season in that they don't compact like leaves. The following spring, you just "peel" off your mulch. I couldn't get my hands on enough pine needles this past fall so I ended up layering. Pine needles, then a layer of leaves, pine needles, and another layer of leaves. It seems to be ok.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the replies everyone!

i have decided not to install an in ground bog garden (for reasons i won't go into here). so now i'm onto large containers. i saw some 20 gallon buckets at home depot last night, and am thinking about picking up 2 or 3 of them to grow my outdoor plants in.

the problems i forsee include:
    -i'm zone 5 ohio, and am not sure if the plants will survive my winters outdoors, above the ground. moving a 20 gallon bucket, full of laterlogged peat might be hard by myself. these buckets have rope handles, but i am positive they will not hold up to what i have planned for them!
    -i am not sure about the uv stability of these buckets.

for the past 2 summers, these plants have recieved full sun for most of the day.

i'm open to suggestions on other larger containers that i might be able to use. remember, i'm looking for things larger enough that i will only have to water once a week (even if it holds 10 gallons of water or more), and is uv stable.
    maybe i should be looking for those large whisky barrels?

thanks,
    tech...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many containers available.. Flowerpots should be UV stablized so if those 20gallon things were designed for plants, putting them in the sun should not be a problem. If they are the things I am thinking of with the rope handles and are simply a utility container. They will not handle the sun and will get brittle eventually. Whisky barrels would look nice ;> I still think though without rain and a bunch of big plants they will need watering more than once a week. Maybe one of those kiddie pools?? It would be big enough that it should go a week if you topped it up all the way with water (I think).

On the subject of wintering outdoors in a container above ground. Don't do it. The plants are highly unlikely to survive even if you piled the mulch on. IMO

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ] If they are the things I am thinking of with the rope handles and are simply a utility container.
    yep, that's what i was thinking about...
    Quote[/b] ] Whisky barrels would look nice
    agreed. now to find some really large ones, not the little 14" ones i see at home depot.
    Quote[/b] ]On the subject of wintering outdoors in a container above ground. Don't do it.
    that's what i'm thinking too. already starting to think about how i'd move them, lol!

thanks for the insight tony. everyone, if you have any ideas or thoughts or tips, post em up!

thanks,
    tech...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think your only real viable option if your going to container garden them outside. And still have the size needed to hold sufficient water/soil so they can go extended periods without watering. And not deal with moving massive containers in the Fall. Is dig the plants up in the fall and fridge store them.

You MIGHT get away with one of those kidie pools sunken in the ground. That would at least give your bog some protection and thermal insulation around the sides and bottom during the Winter. You would still have to mulch but it would be much better protected from freezing/thawing and temperature extreames subjected to an above ground container.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Inground bogs aren't for everybody. You can use planters. I get a brand from my local hardware store. They are the 8", 12", and 16" size and you can purchase relatively deep drip trays for them which is great or improvise. I have planters sitting in (new and unused) cat litter boxes to avoid having to water them everyday. I have other small planters in oblong baking dishes and I have also used pyrex baking dishes as water trays. Your wife will probably hate me for this but you most probably have a myriad of "trays" right in your own kitchen. The manufacturer of the planters I use is Duraco, http://www.duraco.com/ and I bet you can contact them and order bulk to get reduced pricing. I used a dolly to move my planters in the garage. I am too small to physically move the larger ones myself. I then had my husband hoist them up onto shelving placed in front of a huge window. The few plants I had in them seem as if they're going to make it but I could be wrong. The next 60 days will tell. There are many who have patio planters that move them in their garages in my region. One comment, a winter drought can be just as bad on plants as a summer drought. My garage temps are maintained at just under 40F throughout the season. Unfortunately, the air is very dry. If you decide to go this route, you will have to make sure the medium remains damp until the plants can be moved back outside the following spring. I did this by touching the soil and if it was crispy, I added water to the drip tray and let it wick up. I am in Zone 5 and we are prone to extended periods of sub zero temps. I am relatively sure any CPs left in a planter out on a patio with or without mulch in this zone would be history. On the other hand, I think there are zones further south where CPs in planters might just make it by being left out.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast