Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vivariums and terrariums

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd go to your local landscaping dealer and look for a big chunk of scoria or maybe pumice... some light volcanic rock of sorts. Those bubbly rocks are easy to chip apart with a hammer and chisel (or an old wide flathead screwdriver if you are careless with tools like I am.) You could do the whole thing with that, or mix in driftwood, or do just driftwood...
    You can bind smaller pieces of rock together with silicon epoxy or some other plant-safe adhesive. I once made a volcano for school in this manner, but I don't think I used silicon. I made a mold and alternated between filling it with rock and sand and layering on the glue. I had to patch it in several places where there was too much sand, but when it set it was remarkably sturdy - it fell off a table at school and only chipped a little... Anyways, you could probably use epoxy and rock/sand in conjunction with some sort of backing like PVC pipe to make nice planters or something.
    Isn't hypertufa a mix of concrete and stone? I think that might be too heavy for a terrarium. When I was in highschool I decorated my two 20-gallon aquariums and my friend's snake terrarium with ceramics - either things that didn't fire well, or broke, or I decided not to finish building and chop apart... Anyways, if you know anything about ceramics, or know a ceramicist who might help you, you could make something that looked pretty much however you wanted, and it would be fairly lightweight.
    Sorry to hear about the camera situation. I'm in the same boat, except that I had one and broke it o.O
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Endparenthesis, those links were very helpful indeed.

Trapper,
    That sucks man. I have mangled a plant or 2 from falling sheets of Plexi or glass. Boy that sh*t just cuts 'em right in half, don't it?

Seedjar,
    I have come up with my solution and it is cheap and I have most materials. I am going to do a variation of whats described in the *********** link. A few different materials that are available now that probably werent when it was written.

Thanks guys,
    Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok,
    I know I need a camera but........

Today I finished up the back wall and it looks excellent. Tomorrow it should be cured and I'll start moving in . I am also pleasantly surprised to find my lichens alive and spreading as well as moss thriving in a Rubbermaid untill move in. Pics will come upon completion.

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12