What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In need of

adnedarn

I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az
Admin
Hello, I purchased my fogger the other day and am now in need of a low pressure pump to bring clean water out of the supply can to the fogger... It can/should be low pressure (5psi-30psi or so...) And only maintains this pressure... Not run always. Anyone know of such a thing?
Thanks!
Andrew

A small submersible pump should do. Submersible pumps are handy because you can simply put a valve inline between the pump and the fogger to lessen the flow if needed. The backpressure won't hurt the pump. Just be sure the pump doesn't run dry!

As for pump size, the main concern is how high the water will need to be pumped and how long the tubing/hose is between the pump and the fogger.

Is there some sort of float switch in the unit to turn the pump on and off?
Tony

Hi Tony, the submersible style pump sits and runs always?
yes, there is a float switch in the unit from what I read... Simular to that in a swamp cooler... the distance maybe 10 ft MAX. the height... well, the g/h is only 6 ft tall... So... 5ft?
Thanks!
Andrew

I just remembered I had a pump... is this the kind you are talking about? Also, I could put it on the same plug as the humidistat... so it only runs when nessasary. (the fogger is running using water) yeah?
smile.gif

I am going to take a guess here. I bet what you will find in the unit is a float VALVE not a float SWITCH. A float valve is designed to let water through when the level drops. It takes into account the water line attached to the valve is pressurized. I float switch is different. It either completes the electric circuit or breaks it when the level drops (or rises). Depending on how the switch is designed to work. Example for a sumppump which turns on when the sump fills with water and off when the pump has emptied it to a certain point.

Do you have a pressurized water source? This would make things much simpler. If not then there are some decisions to make.. Install a float switch if it is indeed a float valve and not a switch inside the unit. Or have the pump run continuously when the fogger is running. The second option is not ideal though.

Another option which basically works on the switch principle but doesn't involve putting a switch inside the fogger reservoir. This may however require a pump with a bit more force. Pump, checkvalve, pressure switch, fogger. In that order. You could also add a small airbladder tank so you have some reserve pressure in the system. Pump, checkvalve, pressure switch or airbladder tank (either order), fogger. This is how well water systems work to supply pressurized water in a home without the well pump constantly running.

Tony

Ah, gotcha. I bet your right on the float valve not switch.
Are these float switches usally available locally like a plumbing store?

I could hook it up to the hose.. but i'm concerned of prolonged exposure to this "hard" water to my plants...

Andrew

I would probably just try the tapwater first myself. The fog should not be settling on the plants!

If your intent on supplying it with ro water from a holding tank using the submersible pump..

This will give you a ton of options on float switches. You need to figure out how you will mount it, horizontal or vertical. You also need to be sure it is designed to turn the power ON when the level drops and is capable of handling the powerload the pump will draw. Usually this rating is in amps although sometimes it's in watts. If your unsure how to wire this sort of thing let me know.

oodles of float switches

Thanks Tony. I think I will try tap water first. But, I wrote to Watts Primier about this filter and using it to reduce water hardness... They replied "Andrew
The filter would help in reducing the calcium build up however it may not remove it completely. " So, I think just to be safeR , I'm gonna go ahead and get a filter like that one for inline... But if I decide to go to RO water and have trouble setting up the switch I'll take you up on your offer.
Thanks again!
Andrew

Back