What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dang! these t-5 lights shine!

I just replaced some lighting in my growroom with a new 4-bulb t-5 fluorescent fixture (48"). Wow! It shines with the light of a thousand suns! The rest of my plants look like they're in the shade now.
biggrin.gif

These lights are expensive, and probably not worth it yet, but I understand that the prices are about to significantly drop as several manufacturers (Hydro Farm, etc) come out with fixutres at greatly reduced prices. Keep an eye out for these, as they put out light like a 400Watt MH light, but give off a lot less heat.

Capslock

I told someone else in another topic how bright them things are. They put a serious dent in darkness
smile_n_32.gif
Did you buy 'em or just a test type thing?

Joe

Do 4' T-8 bulbs and 4' T-5 bulbs use the same wattage?

EDIT: Nevermind, bothered to google my own answer. Looks like a T-5 would be 54 watts?

Can you use the 48" shoplights that normally hold t-12's and put t-8's in it?

T8s Yes, T5s NO! T5s are different.

Joe

Hay, Hellz here,
i use t-5s and they do onders for my plants, and especially seedlings ^^
good luck with yours,
Hellz

T5 is a great technology. I do not regret buying them (a fixture from dupla, see www.dupla.com)

Cheers,
Jan

Hey Capslock

Sounds awesome!

Do you have the HO (55W) lamps, or the normal output?

To the person asking about T8s in a T12 fixture, the answer is no. Four foot T8s require an electronic ballast, and most T12 fixtures use magnetic ballasts. (Therein most of the advantage for T8s.)

Back