What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Critique please

superimposedhope

Somewhat Unstable
Ok what do you people think?

In the new chamber I have goin, I decided to go with a atmospheric control system (kinda).

Its a canister style with a division down the center. On one side it would have a carbon scrubber. Vortex fan pulling air out the tank and into the left side of the canister. The left side is crushed active carbon. The intake runs to the bottom of the left just shy of the bottom. Air flows back up through the carbon filtering out impurities. At the top of the division is a tube leading to the right side. The right side has fogger and water heater. Air is pushed through the right side picking up temperatured humidity. This air exchanged is lead back up the right side in a cyclonic manner and through a tube back into the tank. I am also considering a supplementation of CO2 at a set PPM.

The line leading in would be at the top of the tank and the air leaving would be under the top soil layer in the bottom. Drawing air through the soil and refreshing soil and keeping beneficial bacterias in check.

Rip me apart and have at it. Seriously Please be constructive and serious, this is a very expensive project i have almost completed and want serious answers or comments/suggestions.

Thanks
Joe

Maybe this should be in the Greenhouses and Terrariums forum?? Want me to move this?

i'd pass on the c02.

Maybe this is the answer to my ? in your other terrraium post? I just found this one...:D

It could work, never even thought of trying such a thing! Everything will probably need to be sealed to ensure the required circulation of the air in the system. I would imagine that even a slight leak anywhere in the setup would throw off the whole system killing the bacterias in the soil which could cause an even worse situation than not having enough But I would imagine, if you were able to seal it up and make the "perfect" type of soil -try some bonsai soil sifters to sift out a size of soil components that are all the same size -which would allow an even airflow you're seeking. The air could "percolate" up through the soil, sort of like a reverse undergravel filter if I get your description correctly. The CO2 is good for the plants but you won't want it going through the soil killing your 02 loving bacteria so I would leave it off this system. If you were to turn off the air circulation but keep it sealed then the CO2 would be benefitial but only if it was sealed. mayeb run the soil circulation at night and the CO2 during the day? best of both worlds?

Now, onto how you will hide all the works in your beautiful setup?
smile.gif

what about the anaerobic bacteria?

wouldn't you need them to turn nitrates into hydrogen gas?

Swords,
The in would be at the top in the back, the out would be under the soil in the front. After passing through and among the plants and through a layer of moss. That should leave little C in the O2 by the time it makes it into the soil. My soil layer is:

bottom: Medium size gravel = 1"
next: Plastic netting = 1/16" openings
next: Peat moss = 1"
top: LFS & dirt = 4 - 1 ratio
Pillow moss is covering the LFS &dirt

JLAP,
The problem with anaerobic is that it is a very delicate situation in reguards to the other organisms. anaerobic can cause much headache if out of control.

Joe

oooh

i guess it's not needed like in a reef setup lol

Just moving this to the Terrarium Forum to see if it gets more attention. It will remain linked in General.
smile.gif

Seems like overkill to me. I think you could build a suitable grow chamber without this carbon filter/CO2 system and save yourself alot of money and have more money for the reason we build these things...........Plants. JMHO.

Jason

hay, Hellz here,
um i say go for it!!!
it sounds like a good idea 2 me, and your plants would prob grow HUGE!!!
Hellz

Jason,
It's not meant to be economically efficient, it's meant to eventually be a self contained environment. When I'm done entire life cycles of various organisms will be carried out. Also I don't know if you've ever tried to build a detailed chamber/terarrium, but they don't last longer than a year or 2 cause of breakdowns at various levels of cycles that start but are missing components.
I also am extremely interested in micro-organisms and symbiotic relationships, which are very important in epiphytic life. I am an epiphytic enthusiasst not just CPs - mostly Neps.

Thanks Hellz,
Very slow process it is establishing moss and lichens, namean?
smile_m_32.gif

Joe

Hellz here,
lol, yamean superimposed
Hellz

Back