Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Play sand mix with peat moss?

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say so. As with all our media, wash well before using, as not everything is CP-safe. You can add the LFS (dried long fibered Sphagnum moss) that can be purchased at Home Depot or Lowes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since your not planting a bog or something large, you might just consider washed horticultural grade sand. I get it at a nursery and it comes in about a 1 gallon bag. Also, you might consider pummice you can usually find it at large nursereys.

Play sand is often collected from rivers, and if it's near agriculture thre is a good chance that there is fertilizer in the sand from run off.

I'm not a big fan of planting the bottom of a terrarium. There are a couple of drawbacks in doing this. One is, you are limited to the kinds of plants you put in it, unless you are willing do dig a plant out that requires dormancy. Also, if a plant becomes infected with a disease or pest, you have to dig it out before if infects the rest of your plants. If you have them in individual pots you can simply take the pot out. Many times in undrained setups, the planting media becomes stagnant or minerals build up and you must replace the entire media. Again in pots you can just replace an individual plant's media.

God must have an interesting sense of humor Wesley's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True but classic terrariums can be very nice if done properly and with some immagination. LOL

Patch has his in a potted landscape where he put them in individual pots and then burried them. I personally would like to do something like that with a fifty gal one day and put some tropical fish with a waterfall. COOOL LOL

Then you have JanW's, which was very well landscaped in my opinion.
    Before

After

And then there is the greenhouse style (a sample by LESLIEx317537). I woulda shown mine, but mine has not really been presentable and all my pics of it when it was presentable are outdated... sorry

[img]http://home.**********.com/users/lesliex317537/NewTerrariumFull.jpg[/img]
    ~Wes~

My plants are going green to save the environment

My Growlist

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, and it is very aesthetically well done. She also had her bouts with mold to deal with. Just a caveat to terraria.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm.. I see what you guys mean when you say that its a bit more difficult to have certain plants together and planting them on the bottom of the tank as to having them in separte pots.

I think im going to keep my collection pretty limited to VFTs, and the couple of Droseras that I have... I will try it out first Potted to the bottom.. IF in fact something does go wrong, I dont mind digging the plant up... Thanks for everyones help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Playsand!....just say no. Your plants will grow but won't be as happy and possible may decline in vigor. Stop by your local pool supply store and buy some filter sand, its much better. Just my two cents. Been there done that, won't do it again.

Glenn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I bought some playsand a few months back and made a 50/50 peat sand mix, and my plants grow great in it.It also says on the bag that the sand has been thoroughly washed.I guess this is why my plants grow well in it.
    John 3:16
    My grow list/want list
    Prior to the funeral home visit, we heard ~ "Hey'all watch this ! !"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I buy playsand at Lowes.I have used it for about 1 1/2 years now with no problems.I don't even rinse it,so far so good.Most of my plants are outside so the rain washes the mix for me,I know this is not a good way of doing it but it works.

Jerry

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast