Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Play sand mix with peat moss?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can I do this mixture? Im planning on moving my CP's into a 20 gal long tank from a 2 1/2 gal tank. I have a few VFT, D. binata, D. Brevifolia, D. Spat. Currently they all look great. I just wanted to know if I could do this mix. Play Sand with Peat moss. If I can, How much should I use? 50/50?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spats grow best in pure LFS.
    John 3:16
    My grow list/want list
    Prior to the funeral home visit, we heard ~ "Hey'all watch this ! !"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grew mine in straight peat. They never complained, and grew like crazy. LFS is a much looser medium, and works well too. Experiment, and see what your spats prefer.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (dewy @ Mar. 30 2005,8:49)]Spats grow best in pure LFS.
    I, for one, don't want them to grow even MORE like weeds... I have them in a 2:1 mix of sand and peat, and they are doing fine.

It seems spats aren't too picky about what you grow them in. If you're growing everything together in a terrarium, worry about your most picky plant, and the spats will accept whatever you've put in there.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    funny how you guys started to talk about the Spat first.. I also listed the other plants I have in the same Tank... Im guessing the D. Brevifolia is the most picky.?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (jlui83 @ Mar. 30 2005,9:20)]funny how you guys started to talk about the Spat first.. I also listed the other plants I have in the same Tank... Im guessing the D. Brevifolia is the most picky.?
    If you don't want your tank overgrown with spats, I'd clip off the flowers as they form. The D. binata will also spread quite a bit.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The jury is out with respect to play sand. If you do use it, wash it well. The best recommendation is going to a pool supply place and get pool filter sand. Others have also suggested sandblasting sand. I haven't tried it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right now the plants are in Peat Moss... nothing else and doing GREAT. I just wanted to see if I could use Play sand, b/c I have about half a bag left and i will be moving these plants from a 2 1/2 gal tank to a 20 gal long tank.... heh,, I was just curious.. Ill most likely just use the same substrate as I have already.. another thing

Ive seen some picture where people but small rocks on the bottom of their tanks and then the soil mix... I guess the rocks create a drainage?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast