User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Pretty happy with sarracenia survival in midwest

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just had to share that my S. 'Judith Hindle' and S. 'Dana's Delight' appear to have made it safely through the winter in my bog garden (setup last summer) here in the Midwest. I really wasn't sure what to expect, as I heard so many conflicting reports. I figured I would try keeping them in situ last year, and if I had problems, I would dig my replacements this year.

I can tell you that S. rubra appears to be lost, but it was an individual plant that did not thrive in the first place. The jury is still out on S. 'Scarlet Belle'. We'll see if warmer weather perks her up.

I'm still hoping to get some S. purpurea or S. purpurea hybrids to go in there, as I feel confident those are more likely to handle the winters here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, good news. All of the Sarracenia survived. I thought this very unlikely, but I wanted to see if it was possible . . . I guess it is! So few people around here grow CP's (or at least I don't know of many), that I knew I would just have to find out for myself.

Anyone else have experience overwintering Sarracenias in the Midwest?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine have done well for two years in a row now.
    I am just like a Super Hero, but without the power or motivation.................and the funky suit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,

I live in Montana, and this winter I'll find out how well they do. I have S. purpurea ssp. purpurea, and I know it'll survive, but I'm uncertain how the various hybrids will do. All mine are in individual pots. I'm just going to dig a big pit, set my pots in it and fill it full of pine needles.

Brian