Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sterilite container experiment for mini-bog

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Brian, that IS a nice set up! Recently, a friend has raised a couple of caveats. Aside from my woes of torrential rainstorms and carrying away of plants, it was raised that I might need to take into consideration that I might need a permit to have the plants out there like that. Also, one should be aware that runoff / pesticides might be an issue. Any thoughts?

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you have permission from the owner, or your the owner, i seriously doubt you'll need a permit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like my moving water bog. The sarrs and VFT's, pings and drosera, thrive in this environment. There are basic differences in how ours work, but the idea is the same. To prevent algae growth in your holding tank, paint the outside of the tank with an elastomeric coating to cut off light, and cover the top to prevent any light getting in to the water. No light, no algae. The water flow is a very necessary one for CP health. The tray method works, but a flowing bog goes nuts!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've decided to put the bog thing on hold for now. Between too much failure, due to inability to control the variables and the strong likelihood of moving soon, this envdeavor will have tobe taken up another time. I will probably go with a "whiskey barrel" approach - next year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    quote: "Between too much failure, due to inability to control the variables and the strong likelihood of moving soon, this envdeavor will have tobe taken up another time. I will probably go with a "whiskey barrel" approach - next year. "

You want to talk about an inability to control the variables, imagine what it would be like to move a whiskey barrel full of mucky peat moss if something unexpected were to come up (wind storm, heat wave, hurricane, etc). I like the idea of a mini-bog, but I think I'll stick to growing them in drained pots set in shallow rubbermaid containers. Ugly, but functional (and easy to move!).

Brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See you jsut bury the big containers (rubbermaid/sterlite 30 gallon) put rocks around the boarder and never have to move them. It's nice

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Brian_W @ April 27 2005,6:26)]You want to talk about an inability to control the variables, imagine what it would be like to move a whiskey barrel full of mucky peat moss if something unexpected were to come up (wind storm, heat wave, hurricane, etc). I like the idea of a mini-bog, but I think I'll stick to growing them in drained pots set in shallow rubbermaid containers. Ugly, but functional (and easy to move!).

Brian
    The ugly and functional is what I had last year and my wife wasn't too thrilled about it. I wouldn't have any reason to move a whiskey barrel. Maybe cover it if one of those hurricanes move up the coast and inland a bit. I plan to use the whiskey barrel for Sarracenias, VFT's, and North American sundews. The rest of the outside plants will reside in ugly and functional.

Tre's scenario is tempting, in that it would keep the Steriltes in place, but I am not confident of the media and plants being washed away. Maybe netting would work?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    whikey barrels can be very simple to move, just plan ahead by putting it on wheels.
    a buried container with rocks around can make for a very nice display also. both are quite functional as mini bogs.
    -julie
    -jULIE-
    if i can't dance, it's not my revolution.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast