Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sterilite container experiment for mini-bog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After you plant the Sarrs and stuff you will get plants with lots of roots atlest 1 foot deep so you don't have to worry about them being washed away or the soil (expecially if you use live Sphagnum on top). Jsut make sure you don't use perlite.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (pinkerton @ April 28 2005,4:46)]whikey barrels can be very simple to move, just plan ahead by putting it on wheels.
    a buried container with rocks around can make for a very nice display also. both are quite functional as mini bogs.
    -julie
    Wheels- brilliant! Much better than ping grease! Thanks Pinkerton. Man, that cat is sharp!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also you could try Urine for moving the barrels. i hear it was very popular in anchient times. Water was used if avalible but you know slaves and servents have to urinate everyonce in a while and with several hundred...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Um.... I'll just stick to wheels. Wheels are good. Great invention. Socailly more acceptable. Wheels it is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coincidentally, i was at Target today browsing the selection of Sterilite containers, and dreaming of large minibogs. Unfortunately, they're mostly too deep. But i haven't ruled them out!

One thing to keep in mind when setting one of these up (especially a big one) is that most of those sterilite containers are probably not UV stabilized. A few months exposed to sun and... crunchy plastic. Yummy.

I think the colored ones are more likely to hold up, though.
    There's no 'a' in perlite.

My Growlist
    NECPS.org - New England CP growers unite!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, no Sterilte containers and no more streams for me! I just filled me a bucket of rinsed sand and peat and emplaced a few Sarrs., a VFT, and a couple D. binata cultivars. Later this week I am going to take another bucket and do the same with my flowering D. binata, filiformis, intermedia, rotundifolia, and some Darlingtonia seedlings. Forget the natural bog and torrential downpours and permanent swims! Just need a few drainage holes and presto - instant mini-bog!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you have to get the rubberized ones they are UV stableised for 2-3 years but if you bury them probibly more.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And a couple days later I pu together another bucket of mini-bog. This one contains my monster D. binata with the endless flower stalk, along with the flowering D. filiformis (California sunset), soon to be flowering D. intermedia, and pathetic D. rotundifolia.

Today, I was kinda forced into creating a third one. I was given some Darlingtonia seedlings that had aphids as a project to clean 'em up. I was drowning them outside and today I saw that the pot was turned over and the seedlings were all floating. So I added sand and the dried LFS to a nice swampy consistency and nestled the seedlings in the LFS. Wish me skill!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123