Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sterilite container experiment for mini-bog

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/jimscott/Sterilite%20container.jpg[/img]

Pictured is a typical Sterilite container, purchased at Target. I saw the holes and thought that this container would be great for allowing drainage, interchange of water, and containment of species.

I have begun bringing plants home from the lab and started with my most invasive Utrics (livida, bisquamata, and the sandersoniis), as well as my Sarrs, VFT's, and Cobra lily. Yes, a cobra lily - again. As providence would have it, I put them outside last night and just hauled them to safety tonight, due to predicted heavy rain is moving into our area. It has handles for quick removal.

Soon I will bringing the rest of the Utrics, D. filiformis, D. binata, D. intermedia, and all those pigmy sundews.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,

I've been using the same type of container for Darlingtonia. I line the inside with LFS, and then fill with the required soil mix. So far it works great. I'm going to try D. intermedia and some Heliamphora next.

Good Luck

I forgot to mention that the best thing about the container is the look on your spouse's face when you bring it inside with water dripping everywhere.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Brian! Welcome to the forums! And thanks for empathy. Lined with LFS? So far I have 4 of them set up. The Utrics weren't terribly thrilled but the Darlingtonia, VFT's, and Sarr. seem unfazed. I just like the idea, especially for water circulation for the cobra lily and providing nutrition for the Utrics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you circulate water?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is going to put it in a small stream.

Jerry

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    make sure the water isn't too acidic.

i'm gonna try that too!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,

When I first set up mine for the cobra lillies, I had a system that circulated the water like a hydroponic table. I used a 20 gallon rubbermaid container with a submersible pump in the bottom. I set a clean cat litter pan on top of the rubbermaid. The pan had holes drilled on one end about 2 inches up to control the water level. The water was pumped into the upper tray, and once it filled up, it spilled out of the drilled holes and fell into the lower container. It worked really slick, and the cobra lillies put out new pitchers, but I had to clean everything once a week due to algae growth. It became a pain, so now I just grow the cobras in a tray of water and flush it with cool water once a week.

Brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm thinking about a system like that myself.I might give it a try this summer or next spring and see how it works.Temps here in the summer are 90f-100f.

Jerry

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast