User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: No more outdoor plants for me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know how you people keep these nice bog gardens. Every time I put my plants outside, something comes along and destroys them. Usually it was just VFTs, and something would eat all of the traps off.

I just put together a little mini-bog yesterday to see how it would fare (I don't know why I thought things would be any different). I go outside less than 24 hours later and it's demolished. All of the soil is completely turned over. I salvaged maybe 4 plants out of about 20 (cheap ones, luckily). The rest are mulch.

I think putting this thing in some kind of quarantine (i.e. a cage of netting or something) would completely ruin the natural effect I was going for, so, my plants are staying indoors from now on. Consider yourselves lucky if yours go unscathed... I still have no idea which animal has been doing this. Apparently a rare one if this doesn't happen to anyone else.

A warning to people putting expensive plants outdoors for the first time, I guess.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    once i found a buried acorn in my bog [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

silly squirrels

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found an easy solution is to put live sphagnum moss on top. This gives it the apperace as always being there so creatures will not be inclined to dig it up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of these would greatly help. All you need is chicken wire, a staple gun, zip ties, and a piece of wood for the bottom. I made mine in about a half hour.
    Update: Parents convinced to allow me to keep greenhouse heated over winter. Most species will not be lost. Too lazy to update growlist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well id have it under survailence so wed know what we were dealing with
    that makes no logic

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a glutton for punishment.
    (1) I have had ravaged VFT's.
    (2) Turned over pots, due to a major rain event and keeping them in an "open tray" that was taller than the pots.
    (3) Losing a bunch more to another major rain event, carrying everything downstream, never to be found.

But like the Borg, I adjust