Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Screw-in compact fluorescents

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know anything of the technology behind these bulbs, except that the spiraled tube allows for a much greater surface area, and that may be why they appear to be putting out so much light when compared with a straight tube lamp.

These lights(the cheapos), are really very good, and appear to be at least as reliable as I've heard the Fluorex lights as being-not that that's saying much. When you first plug these lights in(the Ebay ones), don't be shocked if the light doesn't appear to fully light up. I've had 2 of them do that, and thankfully it just took a few minutes to reach full brightness and hasn't done it since. I consider it a "burn-in" period. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

Sam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll remember that. I have noticed similar behavior with the Fluorex.

-Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just as an update, I ordered the bulb GaWd mentioned on eBay, and I plan on putting it in a 100W clamp-on type fixture with a reflector instead of my 65W plant lamp (to be on the safe side).

I'll try to update this again when the bulb arrives. I didn't buy the shipping insurance to help reduce the cost, so hopefully there will be no reckless delivery people...

-Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Won't 2600k be pretty useless as a plant light? You might as well stick an incandescent tungsten light near them!

You need 4500k, or 6500k really.
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alvin, these are 6400/6500K bulbs.

Ben, don't worry about the insurance. I've ordered 4 of these and all 4 have survived. 2 of the lights I bought I mailed to a friend in Canada in the original packaging and they survived just fine. The seller really packs them very well, you'll see what I mean when you receive them.

Sam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alvin, I originally got the 2600 lumen light (I think it was actually around 3000K) because I thought it would be better than an 1100 lumen 6500K bulb after reading some of the posts in the Lighting sticky. I didn't know that bulbs like the one GaWd recommended were available at such a bargain price. The only other light I knew of around here was a Fluorex, which was too expensive (up to $40 now) and too big for my situation.

I am still interested in whether quality or quantity of light is more important, since it seems like there are differing views on this. For example, this page on the CP FAQ does not even mention color temp.

I also remember Capslock mentioning that he was supplementing Nepenthes with a desk lamp, and I would be interested in knowing what kind of bulb that was.

-Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ben, if I wasn't completely clear about my position before, I'll try to be explicit on my opinion regarding quantity and quality.

I personally feel that in our homes and our own individual microclimates that "quality"-PAR/Color Temp/CRI, Etc.-is less important than "quantity". We've taken plants out of their natural habitats and are cultivating them in environments sometimes completely different than nature intended. While we can certainly try our best to duplicate those conditions, we can't always be right on.

So, I always try to give all of my plants-CPs and otherwise-a 16 hour photoperiod, and I try to use the brightest available compact fluoro bulbs I can. I try to always purchase 6500K(5500K, 6400K are other popular color temps) bulbs when humanly possible. Sometimes that isn't possible and I've had pretty ok luck using much warmer bulb coloration, like the typical 42W bulbs that HD sells.

So my personal guidelines are always to try and use 6500K/Daylight colored lights, and I try for 85W minimum bulb strength. I have ignored the hoodoo and voodoo on the internet about using different colored lights for different purposes and it's always served me well. My orchids and CPs grow and bloom freely year round.

Sam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for clarifying that. It sounds like you prefer 6500K over 5500K. What is your reasoning behind that? I have always used 6500K when possible, but I have seen others recommend 5500K.

Anyway, I just received the e-Bay bulb today, and it is a monster. This is definitely the largest CF bulb I have ever seen, and it is designed to fit in a normal light socket! Check out this comparison in size (the eBay picture makes it look like the size of a standard 25W bulb.):

First is 15W CF, then 42W CF, Fluorex 65W and finally Luxlite Grandbulb 85W (the eBay one)

And here is an image of it in my window:

I am amazed at the power of this bulb. It almost makes the Fluorex look dim in comparison. Its light extends to the other side of the street out my window, and makes our porchlights look dim.

The color temperature is very white, more so than the Fluorex. I am amazed at the difference between 6400K and 6500K. I can't wait to see what effect this has on my plants.

Thanks again GaWd.

-Ben

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast