Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Greenhouse question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

Hay, Hellz here,
    my dad saw how much this hobby has encaptured me, and has asked me if i would want a greenhouse put into out back yard.
    As most any plants Fanatic would, I answered "Hellz Yes!"
    so any way, i asked him if he would have a heater put in, so i can have space to grow some larger neps, and he answered "unless you pay the bills every month during the winter, we can't". I was devastated. He reiterated "this greenhouse would be used to have an early start, and a late end for growing plants"
    now, my question is
    Would a greenhouse with the measurements of 6*8*8 be able to with stand a winter On Long Island, and be able to harbor Sarras and the like for dormancy safely? I really want to increase my Sarra collection, and not have to deal with putting them in the fridge every year
    thanks for your help in advanced,
    Hellz
    Nike SB is Bananas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sry but i dont know much but from what i understand in the "Savage Garnden" and cold house heated to 30 degrees F. can have every kind of sar. i also dont know how cold it get on long island.

Thanks

Brad
    thanks for you imput

Brad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I let all my Sarracenia get down to 15 F before I bring them into my Greenhouse.

thanks
    -Jeremiah-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you get triple pane or quadruple pane plolycarbonate with bubble wrap insulation, etc. Then you will still need a heater, but it will be minimal, almost nonexistant as it will retain a TON of heat. Peter D'Amato's greenhouse is triple pane, and he NEVER has to run a heater. EVER. Of course he lives nears San Franciso, so...
    Update: Parents convinced to allow me to keep greenhouse heated over winter. Most species will not be lost. Too lazy to update growlist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could always get a part time job at the grocery store, I started bagging groceries when I was 15. I used to support my hobby, which was model airplanes at the time. Maybe even if you earn most of the money to pay for the heating, your Dad would chip in the rest. Good luck!