What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Halogen lights

Can Halogen lights be used for supplmental lighting for plants out doors. I have a 500 watt one I want to hang above my barrel bog on my balcony that recieves no direct sun.  I know they get hot but there is always a breeze. I need something cheap. I guess I could use 2 4' shoplights over it.
-Nickz

Outdoors? Then you'd want an HPS or MH security lamp that are made to go outdoors. I don't know whether halogen lights will do the job effectively.

Amori

I was under the impression tha halogen lights burn at too low of a kelvin to be used effectively buy plants. It will work, just not that well.

I agree with flipside. It will work, just not that well. Light of a different spectrum is still useable to a certain extent, however.

Sam

I guess I will give it a try then. A 500 watt Halogen is only $10 opposed to the MH or HPS at $50. The plants are growing ok but they need more light, hopefully the Halogen will be enough, if not it can always be returned.
Nick Z.

I haven't run any numbers but there is more to light than the cost of the bulb. What you see and the plant see is very different. A halogen bulb is an incandescent with halogen gas. They are very inefficient, produce alot of heat, yellow and red light. It may look very bright to you but to the plant it will appear rather dim. It would not surprise me if a 65watt 6500k compact fluorescent bulb produced more plant visible light and better results without the energy cost (65w vs 500w), or the risk of drying and burning the plants.

Tony

They are good for heating! I used one to heat my lowland chamber way back when....don't try it.
smile_m_32.gif

Ditto what Tony said... that's a lot of lost energy. I say get a Fluorex.

I live in an apartment where the utilites are included in the rent so the energy isn't an issue. I just want to give the plants a litttle boost because they are in bright shade. I don't think I can afford a $50 Fluorex fixture right now so I might try the Halogen for a few weeks and see if they plants change.
Thanks
-Nick Z.

Why buy Fluorex when you can get an 85W CFL bulb for $9?

See other CFL-related threads in this forum for the name of the dealer. He's on Ebay and I've bought from him twice and have been wholly satisfied both times.

Sam

P.S.- Places like Costco sell Fluorex security fixtures for like $20.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (GaWd @ April 25 2005,10:03)]Why buy Fluorex when you can get an 85W CFL bulb for $9?

See other CFL-related threads in this forum for the name of the dealer. He's on Ebay and I've bought from him twice and have been wholly satisfied both times.

Sam
Because in this case it has to be weather-proof.

It does not necessarily need to be weather-proof, it is on a covered balcony that never gets rained on. Do you think the 85W compact fluorescent would make enough light for a barrel bog? I could get a 10” reflector clamp light.
-Nick

It depends on how far from the barrel the light is too... the closer the better. Definitely get the reflector. I think you'd be in good shape with that setup.

How large is the barrel?  I got the 85W bulb GaWd (with 10.5 clamp light) recommended and it is very bright (about 5200 lumen), moreso than Fluorex.  As long as you aim it directly and don't mount it too far away, it should be fine.

I don't have any experience with plants and halogen lights, other than overhearing a Lowes employee mention that real plant enthusiasts use halogen, because fluorescent lights aren't powerful enough  
smile_n_32.gif
 I wonder where he got that from?  Since I started growing CPs I have been using daylight fluorescents from others' advice, and they work wonders.

-Ben

Back