What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

T5 flourescents

I'm looking at possibly getting T5 setup for a 20 gallon aquarium. If I get a 2 bulb setup, what colors should I get?

JJ

Here is the other option, I was at a fish store today, and they had 24 inch compact fluorescent lights made by a company called Coralife. They are 65 watt 6700K. They also have a 10,000k bulb. The fixture with bulb was 65 dollars. This is only to supplement the light it gets from the window it sits next to. Anyone use these, and what are your results?

Thanks,

JJ

I posted a little while back on this, well, at least the compact fluorescent part. Check out this website:
AHSupply
They have kits to retrofit regular fluorescent fixtures, or instructions on how to build your own. I actually bought a 55-watt 'kit' and I built my own fixture out of wood for it, it was pretty easy. I use it over my 29-gallon fish tank, it has been working wonders--don't know how effective it would be for plants/terrariums other than to save space, as opposed to the standard fluorescent fixtures from the hardware store (which are tons cheaper).

I say stay away from color temperatures over 6500K, personally. 10K would be WAY too blue for plants that aren't under water.

Sam

Back