Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What plants to use?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am putting a creature in my terrarium, and he needs 28-88 degrees durring the day, nothing higher, 12 hours of daylight, and mid to high 70's at night, with high humidity. What plants would be good for this? it is a very big terrarium, 70 gallon square, so i will need a lot of plants. It will also have a waterfall/stream/pond at the bottom.

I know i want a lot of moss, and some water plants for my little fish to hide in. And not too many cps - i have a different tank planned for those. Maybe just a few different pitcher plants and one or two sundews of the same species.
    Jenna Armstrong,
    Co-Leader of Ethereal Exotics.
    Animal Breeding -
    Bengal House Cats, and soon Ball Pythons, Chinchillas, Giant Geckos, and Flying Geckos.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    May I ask what sort of creature you are putting in there? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img] Will it have the capability of crushing a delicate CP with its feet? American pitcher plants really prefer to be outside, but Asian ones - Nepenthes do well indoors and many do well in higher humidity and won't be crushed as easily as many sundews.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a few Flying Geckos - they are really small, about the size of a finger without their tails. They wouldnt crush anything - too light. They mostly just hide in foliage all day and come out to find their crickets or mealworms. And, if the cp's wouldnt do as well in there, i dont need any at all.
    Jenna Armstrong,
    Animal Breeding -
    Bengal House Cats, and soon Ball Pythons, Chinchillas, Giant Geckos, and Flying Geckos.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will this terrarium be totally closed off with glass or will you have a screen on top. CP's, in general, need exposure to the air / air circulation or they become prone to mold. Flying geckos.... That's Tokay with me! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It wont be totally closed off. It will have some screening at the top. I dont think i will have to worry about the humidity excaping, because i am putting a terra fogger by the pond. That should keep it up.
    Jenna Armstrong,
    Animal Breeding -

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as there is water in the tank and a way of circulating it, there ought to be adequate humidity. It's kinda like folks that have the old radiators in their apartments and place a bowl of water on top.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you think the best type of plant would be?
    Jenna Armstrong,
    Animal Breeding -

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that the so-called Lowland Nepenthes (tropical pitcher plants) are a good choice. Do you have a copy of the book called Savage Garden? That would be a useful resource for names of these kind of plants.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast