Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reverse osmosis (ro) systems

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been using distilled water so far for my plants, but am planning to switch to RO to save money (in the long run). I have read previous articles on these forums, and have narrowed it down to these two systems:

AQUA AQUARIUM 100GPD REVERSE OSMOSIS WATER FILTER

Reef 125GPD Reverse Osmosis Water Filter +DI+free 5 rpl

Which one do you think is better? Basically I am looking for something in the $60-$100 price range. If you have any other suggestions, I would be glad to hear them.

Thanks,
    Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are essentially the same. Either would produce water much purer than you need. You can save money in the future by removing and not replacing the post RO membrane carbon and DI filters..

The key elements are a good prefilter for sediment and then a carbon block. That keeps your RO membrane safe from chlorine and sediment that can clog it. The RO membrane will remove about 98% of water contaminants which is plenty fine for any cps.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply Tony. If they are pretty much the same, then it seems like the bottom one is the best deal since it has a free replacement set of filters and some other extras.

I remember you said in another thread that it is important to have standard size filters. How can I tell if that is true of these ones?

Also, the bottom guy is selling a TDM meter for $23. I read in other threads that these need to be kept wet, but this one does not seem to say that?

-Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure about which system is best, but I bought from the upper vendor and found him reputable and helpful, and I love my R/O system, which is similar to the one you're looking at.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you look at the units you will see the 3 vertical canisters underneath. These are the standard 2.5 x 10" filter housings. These house the prefilters. Both units have 3, so you have more than enough.

Portable tds meters don't need to be kept wet. They have a couple metal probes on the bottom. They are quite durable but it is important to periodicially check the calibration with calibration solution.

T
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought this one RO System
    This one comes with a tank, the one you linked to doesn't have a tank. Works for me, except the auto shutoff doesn't work, it may be because my water pressure isn't high enough.
    larry
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigflytrap/
    Save a tree, legalize cannabis.
    Be enlightened

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oooh, good point, get one with a tank! Makes filling jugs of water much easier. In fact, I bought two tanks and just "wired" them in parallel, and now I have lots of water on tap whenever I need it.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info. I was leaning toward the other one at first, but now I notice that the Aqua-Safe guy seems to have a much better warranty and reputation. Plus he lives in my state, so I suppose it couldn't hurt to support local business [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] .

I am thinking I will try the one with the tank, and add in a TDS. I remember Tony saying in a previous thread that the tanks cause more waste water. Have you guys noticed this much? What do you do with the wastewater? Can it be added to another tank?

I am mostly planning on using this for an ultrasonic humidifier and about 12 plants, so I would probably use about 1-2 gallons a day at most.

-Ben

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast