Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Got rid of fish and converted tank into upgraded

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey chloroplast, do you ever have problems with sphagnum dying from too much shade? How do you keep your pots on it - do they just sit in the sphagnum or are they suspended above it somehow?
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My sphagnum is straw-colored. The bag says the brand is "Luster Leaf," and it says it is from Chile. I have heard that this is pretty decent stuff. I originally was getting it from a nursery, but later found it for much cheaper at Lowes. Lowes definitely beats Home Depot in this area, since they don't carry anything close.

I also am wondering whether the moss that is shaded by the pots has problems. In any case, I will try and find out...

-Ben

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep some lumps of live (or, perhaps formerly live) sphagnum in the bottom of my tank. I was hoping it would multiply, but it's been very slow growing, and I think it has something to do with the shade, which is why I ask. I try to move it around when I empty water from the tank, but it doesn't seem to help much. Some U. gibba that escaped into the tank seems to be doing fine amongst the sphagnum, so I think it may also be possible that there's too much water.
    ~Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Joe & Ben,

To answer your common question, yes, the moss completely covered by the plastic saucers (with pots sitting on them) does not grow. This is definitely due to the fact that it's receiving no light. However, since I can't see this moss, it doesn't matter to me.

Joe, how long have you had the moss at the bottom of the tank? Also, what is your light level? It took 3-4 months for it to begin turning green for me and 6mo after that for it to become lush--bottom line, it took time so you might just want to be patient. Just continue flooding it with water and provide good air circulation and light. And look on the bright side....Even when it's brown, LFS is a good inhibitor of molds/fungi because it lowers the pH of the water at the bottom of your tank, and it's also a natural water "sponge" and maintains good humidity levels.
    Secretary, New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) http://www.necps.org/
    Member, International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS)
    Member, North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC)
    Member, The Carnivorous Plant Society (CPS)

apple rings.. what more can i say? FlytrapGurl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a bunch of LFS growing in the P. primuliflora pot. Can I get enough out of that to start a LFS bed at the bottom of the 29-gal tank? Also, can it grow on the gravel I have at the bottom of the tank (gravel's there to hold water better for humidity)?
    Liquid Plummer
    Warning: Do not reuse the bottle to store beverages.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chloroplast, my sphagnum was all live when I put it in - spare strands from a bag of live stuff I used to top some of my pots last winter. I just think that there was too much water and not enough sphagnum. Yesterday I added a 20-gallon tank to house my formerly overcrowded highlanders, and I lined both tanks with dried LFS as per your suggestion. I tossed the live strands from the 10-gallon tank in on top of the dead stuff and watered until it was all wet - we'll see what happens when they have a little more air. The live stuff was putting up new growth, but the parts that had been submerged looked kind of rotten... I'm not worried though.
    FlytrapGurl, I think if you bury the strands in the gravel just a little, so they stay wet, it should work. I have sphagnum growing up from underneath rough gravel in one of my Sarracenia pots outside. It just needs moisture and light, so far as I can tell.
    ~Joe

apple rings.. what more can i say? FlytrapGurl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I'll probably do that today. I'll let you know how it goes.
    Liquid Plummer
    Warning: Do not reuse the bottle to store beverages.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah, FTG,you probably know this, but if it starts to turn white, it's overdue for a misting. My sphagnum is the most stringy and prolific in my Nepenthes pots, which I mist way too much (I mist my Neps every time I go look at them in lieu of regular watering.) In the outdoor pots, where it's consistently soggy, it's slower to spread but much bushier and compact. I was surprised to find that when it turns white, it's actually not quite dead.
    Good luck,
    ~Joe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12